911 app

Discussion in 'Android' started by Pasta88, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    Hi, Can someone recommend a 911 app that call police right away for free plz.

TIA

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What?
    It's legal to have a fee on emergency calls?

In Europe 112 is free always...it has to work with zero balance on your account, too...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: No it's not legal and even a cell phone without a SIM card can call 911.

@Pasta88: Do you have a friend / relative that's concerned about falling and being able to dial 911 quickly?
    If so, there are services that offer a pendant that a senior can wear. The operator can talk directly with the person and send help.

I was thinking about getting something like that for my mom. She's 80 and I worry about her. Also, I'm 60 miles away so there's not much I can do.

Bear in mind that sometimes, cell service is not available in the basement. That's typically where a laundry room is.

I hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  5. buljang

buljang MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2018
    Like above people said it's also on iOS the Emergency Mode.

After setting it up. Press the on/off button 5 times and a slider to emergency call comes up.

And as said before on the Lockscreen is usually a feature to call emergency without needing the passcode

6. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
  7. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I think all mobile devices are required by federal law to support E911 and you can't even turn location off for E911. take any smart phone into a ATT or Verizon store or wherever and say the E911 doesn't work and they will have to make it work for free. you can pick any phone off the ground and call E911 you don't have to get past the lock screen to get into the device. at least that is my understanding.

so if you have a device you use only for wifi or personal use (taking pictures, whatever) but have no cell phone or data service. it must still be able to dial 911 per federal law. if it doesn't I think the carrier has to fix it free of charge.

phone companies operate under a different set of laws than cable companies. if you have voip from a cable provider and your telephone gets shut off they aren't required to allow 911 calls. you can also hook up a landline phone to your house and it will be able to call 911. that can be connected to a wireless device that someone can wear around their neck (900mhz thing or whatever)

disclaimer: I don't know everything and this is a serious issue- call your local provider or county health department to learn more.