A bit lost while trying to improve sound and vision on Windows NT and 3.0 MME

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by W7U, Mar 18, 2018.

1. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Hi all,

I am nearing completion of the Windows part of a living timeline of old operating systems on VMware.

At time of posting, I have only four versions left to install:
    • Windows 3.0 with Media Extensions;
    • Windows NT 3.1;
    • Windows NT 3.5;
    • Windows NT 3.51.
    However, as the title suggests, I am a bit lost trying to find the SoundBlaster sound and SVGA display drivers that will work on those four operating systems. It would be super-nice for the machines to have 1024x768 256 colours and sound, lest it appear less authentic.

I presume at the moment that it isn't as easy as using drivers for other versions, the nearest in my case being those for Windows 2.11, Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11.

I know of Zamba's VMware page, but it would still be useful to know if anyone has ever tried to get those OSes to have 1024x768 256 colours and sound before.

I wonder if anyone can point me on the right direction?

Another thing I was also wondering was whether Windows NT 3.1-3.51 requires MS-DOS like the consumer versions.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The last question is easily answered: Not a single Microsoft OS bearing an "NT" (New Technology) in its name has ever required MS-DOS. NT has been developed with exactly that target in mind, to not require DOS. NT is more related to OS/2 as to DOS.