A critical examination of professional/elite sport and Olympic "spirit" in particular

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by gorski, Jul 24, 2012.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Warning: NOT for people of feeble mind...:rolleyes::D

A former basketball player of the highest order, Ljubodrag Simonovic [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljubodrag_Simonović ], PhD in Philosophy, whose main subject is Philosophy/Sociology of sport, examines critically the very nature of elite/professional sport and in particular Olympic Games...

http://www.viddler.com/v/aeb47674

What say you?!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    heck Gorski, old friend,
    what can i say, except that
    i do not like that damn moustache?
    i know they reinvented the olympic
    thought in Berlin 1936, and i remain
    unimpressed..
    we have since had London 1948, and
    Munich 1972..
    even so, i respectfully suggest
    that such things as Stuka`s and
    Guernica have no place here..
    just my two cents..
    regards, nodnar

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I am not sure I fully understand your point, m8... But here is a little context for you, just in case...

He is a part of development of thought from from Kant to Hegel and his "Left", via Marx, then Bloch and Lukacs, then "Critical Theory" (Adorno, Horkheimer, Markuse etc.), onwards to "Revolutionary Thinking" in Praxis philosophy circles in ex-YU terms.

Merciless critique of everything is the basis of such thought! Truth, whatever it may look like, is to be pursued, all the way, in spite of all the political considerations. In this case, it is the fearless critique of Capitalism as such, in its various guises/possibilities, the way it took over the Olympic spirit and/or the very nature of sport in general, at least the professional/elite sport for the purposes of profit making and ideology...

Oh, it helps (the sincere account of it all) that he went through the machine himself and he not only knows it but also feels it...

I think one would be wise to heed his warnings, his historical account of those developments and the current state of affairs...

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009