A curious question... about OneDrive.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SkullKid2000, Jan 7, 2017.

1. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Does anybody know if it is possible to turn off OneDrive from updating just like you can turn of Windows Update? Just curious if it is possible :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Yes. You can disable it from the start up and you can even remove it completely if you wish.

3. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Nice :D Gonna try it out! I suppose it's, through the task scheduler? As it keeps track of all those things...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 2hot6ft2

2hot6ft2 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2016
    Close but Startup is now in Task Manager

To get to Startup right click on the taskbar left click on "Task Manager" then "more details" (bottom left) then the "Startup" tab. Select it then right click and select "disable".

5. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #5 SkullKid2000, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    (OP)
    Yes, I know. But the thing is I would like to rollback the version itself of OneDrive. I think I may have solved it myself though. Because when I created a new local user account, it was with the "stock" version of OneDrive, so I just copied that folder into my own account. :)

EDIT: Seem to have broken OneDrive by doing so, better let it be. Was just curious it this was possible. Doesn't seem to be any way to stop OneDrive's synchronization "engine" from updating...

6. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    #6 jeggg, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    to disable-
    search gpedit.msc> enter>in left pane of local group policy editor>computer config> administrative templates> windows components > clik one drive
    In right pane double clik "prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" tick the 'enabled' in window that pops up/apply /ok
    This will make the drive not available. To go back to default sets go back to policy editor tick the 'not configured' apply/ok

When windows updates forces updates to you, some privacy sets will be reset automatically. So after installing update and reboot , some settings will be changed back. You can choose when your pc reboots so these changes you make won't be reverted back to what they were before you turned them off. Start orb> type a search for 'windows update' >enter> advanced options>Choose how updates are installed > drop down choice to 'notify to schedule restart'
    So at least you know when updates are installed(at reboot) and you can check to see what privacy sets have changed after you do the reboot.

edit: drop down choice to 'notify to schedule restart' no longer available Win10 Pro

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    yep is correct, but only for Windows PRO or Enterprise versions, Home versions don't have Gpedit.msc ;)