A day in history

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Joe C, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Today at 12:00 noon est. the "Donald" will be the POTUS.
    There will be people protesting for there agenda, what do they possibly hope to accomplish by these protests?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    And now, the fun starts. ;)

@Joe C: Maybe to get themselves on Trumps' personal "watch" list. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm I don't see this actions with good eyes maybe bad things can happen :g:

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    He did one hell of a inauguration speech

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    That wasn't an inauguration speech, it was a pre-electoral promises speech. It seems, he hasn't yet digested the fact that elections are over, as he didn't expect to win them. :D

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I was impressed with his speech, I think he means to do what he states, but I don't think he will be able to carry out all that he wants to do

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: So was I. And what He says makes good sense.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I also think he will do what he states, but that is rather agitating since there is no real concept but to cancel foreign businesses. Also to reverse health care cannot be considered as 'America first'.
    What about those getting ill or those who like to buy foreign products because they can?

Really? :eek:
    Especially his 'alternative' view on the amount of visitors compared to Obama's inauguration....:rolleyes:

Trump enforces his ideas to isolate/separate the US from the rest....this is made to impress the naives (Nationalists) since it appears to strengthen the own country. But to make good politics one needs a real concept. The same applies to the BRexit BTW he likes that much....

A rotten industry for instance like Detroit cannot be recovered by canceling foreign businesses and/or tax privileges for US companies.
    One needs a detailed makeup.

His politics leads sooner or later to more disadvantages..the US is dependent on imports as long as they are not able to replace products on their own..words of Trump cannot....

Trump does exactly what I expected. He creates agitation and splits...he is loud and has no real idea (yet)...

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: Yes. Really.

He is trying to bring manufacturing back to America. This is important on many levels, one of which is the amount of jobs that would be produced by doing that.
    Cities in America that have all but decayed into chaos can possibly be rebuilt (Detroit comes to mind) Without having to put Military bases there.

If He does just that by itself, He has done America a great service. Once we're stable and productive again, we can think about collaborating with industries from other countries.
    That's not to say that people from other countries are not welcome here.

We welcome all.

And there are many people like myself who are willing to humble themselves and learn from others, regardless of their race, creed or gender.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The idea itself to bring back manufacturing is a good one.

The problem is Trump himself. I think he is not able to do. US economy needs a detailed concept not just paroles. He would need cooperation with others, soon other countries say: if not with US then we cooperate with other countries...his idea with bilateral agreements together with 'America first' in mind never works.

To make America great again assumes America is not great anymore, but Trump never realizes that he needs the help/cooperation with other countries to get things better...he has no orientation at all but false proud.

Just recent suspension of Lemon imports from Argentina what should that mean? This is just ridiculous and made to feed nationalism....:rolleyes:

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: America -is- great in it's own way. The concept of freedom for all is a wonderful thing.
    However: There are those who twisted it to be about the rich vs. the poor. Because of this, many Americans have developed a disdain for America. They watch their jobs disappear and move offshore. They're forced to tighten their belts. And we're willing to work hard. But there are very few jobs available to them, other than the food service industry or the janitorial industry.

Can Trump do it by himself? No. He needs the cooperation of -every- businessman in the USA. And they need to be convinced to "tighten their belts", cut back on their profit margins, and do business here.
    For the sake of America and its' prosperity.

As far as Lemon Imports go, We have a sun belt here. We grow just about every citrus fruit imaginable. Why shouldn't local growers be favored over foreign growers?

Try to grow rice and break into the Japanese rice market. If you're not Japanese, You don't stand a chance.

So, the USA is not the only guilty party with regards to Nationalism.

We have a saying here: "What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander.".

And that needs to be applied here.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I meant the suspension of lemon imports as one of the first actions of a new president as if it would be one of the most important things to change.
    It is made as a means of nationalistic propaganda and agitates the others, he will continue with other countries, too. This splits, it does not unite.

The canceled TPP btw would have allowed the US to export rice to Japan if I am not mistaken.

I wish all the best to get manufacturing back to US for a benefit of all US citizens, but Trump as a capitalist I am afraid that those who should get benefit most will finally not....

13. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    The protesters probably don't have a job and most probably have been living on the 'obama entitlement' for the past 8 years and know Trump will most likely end this free ride and make the physically able work for a living instead of the taxpayer paying their way. Some actually get paid to protest for the "cause", that's what they accomplish. obama got us out of the 2008 recession sure , at a cost during his 2 terms spending more than all the 43 Presidents combined before him starting with Washington. Trillions in debt. I need a cup of coffee lol.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I wonder why there wasn't any protest at Obama's inauguration then :rolleyes:

I guess you are not aware for what they really protested, especially the women.

15. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    If there were protesters at obama's inauguration the press would deem it racist from what I have heard in the news.
    I do hope trump doesn't stomp on womens rights as I think he just started in a signed paper today on the abortion issue :).

16. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Cancelling the TPP will hurt U.S. jobs. Everything he is doing is hurting manufacturing, and job production.

17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    I don't think so. The taxpayer at large shouldn't be forced to pay for abortions. Like plastic surgery, it should be treated as an elective surgery, making it something that would be paid for by your own personal health care package.

If it's not covered, it should be paid for by you out of your own pocket. If it's life threatening, then your health care should cover it by waiver.

@dhjohns: I beg to differ with you.

http://www.ibtimes.com/tpp-trade-deal-does-it-threaten-american-jobs-depends-who-you-ask-2292847

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #18 Joe C, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    (OP)
    Actually Yen Our founding forefathers set up this country for free export and to tax imports, It's what made this country work to be on top at one time in history, Today we are not doing that. I think Pres Trump wants to get back to where we should be in that area.
    Nobody is going to stop Govt supported healthcare, that genie is out of the bottle and like a burnt capacitor, that smoke ain't never getting back in. I personally know people on Obummer care. My sis in law lost her job and had a stroke, she was on obama care and because she is not working they covered everything $$ and it was not cheap (yay!)
    Now I know a couple other people that are on Obamacare and they are healthy and working, When this started it was really cheap, Now my wife's friend Denise is supposed to cough up $1,400 a month for Obamacare, She did attempt to refuse but they increased the penalty on her taxes for not paying into Obamacare. She is being forced by coercion to pay for Obamacare, if she quit her job, it would be free.
    Govt should be out of MY/Our business! Let insurance companies be able to compete for business. The insurance industry has managed to get the govt to make themselves a monopoly, and now everybody pays dearly for it because our senators and congress persons sold out it's citizens for cash back in the 1970's and 80's
    [end] Rant [/end]

19. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    That sounds fair on abortion and I agree . I hope he takes advice from his wife and daughter on the many sensitive issues regarding women.

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @jeggg: So do I. Many of us are willing to let the womanizing nonsense go as long as He does the right thing in the end.