A few questions about dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Peli, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Peli

Peli MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    Hello,
    I'm planning to install Win 7 64bit and have it, hopefully, peacefully coexist with Win XP 32bit. (Yes, my PC can handle 64bit)
    I've been reading a lot about this, but I'm swamped by details and versions and stuff! :)

Here's what I'd like to know:

1) When making a partition for Win 7, how much space do I need?
    On C: I have WinXP installed and the disk is almost full. On D: I have 90 GB free (out of 370).

If I allocate, e.g. 20 GB to the partition for the Win 7 installation, when I use Win 7, will I have access to all the free space that's there for Win XP too (that is, more than 20 GB)? I know, silly question, but still..
    If I partition D: will all on it be deleted?

2) I want Win 7 64bit, but don't know which version.
    What would you recommend as easiest-to-activate and best for gaming?

3) I assume I need an ISO of Win7 on USB or on DVD, can't simply install it from the computer?

Thanks!

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There's very little differences between the win7 versions. The only major differences are the ram allowance and whether or not it will let you log onto a domain.
    There's not much of a performance difference between something like Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Home Premium.

It really depends on whether you are using a UEFI or a BIOS system as to which version you would need to use or how to go about activating it.

On UEFI, it doesn't boot with the MBR boot sector, so activators like Windows Loader won't work.
    There is WindSLIC, but it's a little more complicated to set up.

Typically for dual-booting xp, the only real problems are the install drivers.
    On newer systems it can be a pain to locate sata/ahci drivers or usb drivers.

Honestly there's really not any reason to use XP.
    Win7 has roughly the same performance on computers made within the last 8 years.
    The only reason you'd want to use it is for compatibility with a program that is known to have a problem on systems other than XP.

Proper install procedure is as follows:
    1) Install using xp, and specify a 20 GB partition to install onto. Don't use the whole drive or you'll have to deal with shrinking partitions.
    2) Once your xp is set up correctly, install win7 using at least 20GB or the rest of the drive.

You need to start with xp because win7 setup will move things around to create the dual-boot.

As far as which win7 version I'd suggest... well for BIOS boot I'd go with Ultimate.
    For UEFI, I'd go with Enterprise.

On Ultimate, you can use the Windows Loader that Daz has in the MDL projects section,
    and on Enterprise you can use Microsoft Toolkit, also in the MDL projects section.

3. Peli

Peli MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    Thank you for your response.

Oh, but this RAM thing seems important. I currently have only 4GB, but maybe I'll put more. Some versions have a ram allowance cap?
    Also, I don't understand this domain thing.

I think I'm using BIOS (win xp), but how can I make sure?

Don't understand this.

XP is already installed. The only reason I don't want to delete it is because I don't want to transfer all that stuff.

But there are also a few versions of Ultimate, yes?

4. Peli

Peli MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    Successfully installed the dual-boot. :)

Should I completely update Windows 7 through the Windows updater? I'm asking this because I wonder if I will later have problems activating Windows with Daz's Windows Loader?

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    no problems with any updates