A few questions about seeding torrents

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jpl327, May 29, 2011.

1. jpl327

jpl327 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    First let me say that I believe in the concept of seeding. My questions are about how to seed.

1. Do I have to seed a torrent back completely after it finishes downloading? What if I pause it and seed back at various times? Is this wrong or bad?

2. What if the download completes but the file is not seeding, am I obligated to seed it anyway?

3. What if the file is not what I wanted and I can't use it, do I still have to seed it?

4. uTorrent has a default seed ratio of 1.5 If I seed to a ratio of 1.0 is that wrong?

5. Must I always seed back 100 %, or is there an acceptable level that is considered sufficient? I ask this question because I am presently seeding back a 15GB torrent that still has an eta of 1day 4hrs.

I understand that seeding is considered proper torrent etiquette but I haven't found answers to my questions anywhere. I'm not looking for a way to cheat, I'm looking for a way to seed more efficiently and in a manner that best serves myself and others.

btw: My internet connection is 1mbps up/10mbps down. My uTorrent upload speed is 100kbps-130kbps.

2. dabits

dabits Guest

Try to be fair, give back what you get :smile3:

3. moon510

moon510 MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    Om private trackers, you must follow the rules of the tracker, or else, you are out. On public trackers, it all depends on your fairness.

4. jpl327

jpl327 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    #4 jpl327, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    (OP)
    How can I determine if it is a private or a public tracker? Also, is my upload speed consistent with my connection speed, or is it possible to optimize it? (My internet connection is 1mbps up/10mbps down. My uTorrent upload speed is 100kBps-130kBps.)

5. dabits

dabits Guest

The Pirate Bay and Demonoid and ExtraTorrent and such are public trackers, you don't have to register to download from them.
    On private trackers you have to register to download, you have to follow rules or you're download rights are cancelled.
    They often use seedboxes so you can download the torrents at full speed ... and it takes forever to seed it back, if you're lucky.
    If you can't, you can buy your way out of, that's their goal ... make money.

1 mbps / 100-130 kbps up sounds like there's nothing wrong, no need to optimize anything imho :smile3:

I hear from people from down under that they have ~25 kbps up, so we're lucky ;)

6. jpl327

jpl327 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks for clearing that up. I thought public/private trackers were established during the download, not the tracker from which the torrent is obtained. Since I usually use one of the aforementioned I am always using public trackers. I will still seed anyway, it's the right thing to do. I just wish it didn't take so long.

7. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    ... at least, don't be a leecher :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. gaza_dan

gaza_dan MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    dont hit and run seed back and have fun.
    im giving away free invite to PTFILES private torrent site if any one is interested feel free to pm