A few questions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ynhdarkman, Feb 20, 2010.

1. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    well, i'm about to get a Win7 Pro license (student offer) and i'm not sure about some things:

1. Seems like i'm getting the Upgrade version, if i download the Pro x64 ISO somewhere else and use the key i'll get, will i be ok?

2. I'm not american, so i'll get a non-american license, if i download the english ISO, will the same key work without problems? And will I be able to change the language if i want to?

3. If i do the downgrade trick (I'm on Ultimate x64 using Daz's, passed validation fully), will everything be stable? I mean drivers, apps, etc.? Or should i do a clean install instead?

Been looking on google all of these, and i've read mixed results, so i'm asking if someone here can answer...

Thanks in advance :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    What type of key are you buying? OEM? Retail? If Retail then it should not matter if you download another ISO from somewhere but you can always check that in a VM if you want to. You should be ok with an English version even though it is not an american license. I would also do a clean install because doing it the other way can create potential problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    AFAIK, it is indeed a retail key, i'll get it from digitalriver

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    How many activations does it have? If it has quite a bit like a MSDN key you can always check it by installing the copy of windows 7 that you want to install in a VM program like VMware or Virtual Box and activate it with the key and see if it works. If it does then you can reinstall it the normal way and activate again but remember that if you activate it in a VM that takes up one activation count so only do that if you have a lot of activations. I don't normally do this but if you need I can give you 1 activation for Pro from my MSDN retail key if this does not work for you. :)

5. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Seems like it's a single activation key, so i'll have one try and i'll deal with MS if i can't validate o_O

Guess i'll be ok if i do a clean install using the ISO provided with the key...

Thanks for the help btw

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Your welcome dude. BTW most retail keys have several activations. It should tell you where you are buying it from but I know that MSDN retail keys are 10 Online and 25 Phone activations so I would guess that regular retail is pretty similar but I would check out from the source that you are buying it from.

7. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    You are a student??

Seems that only some schools(high schools / universities)' students could have free license of Win7.... :)

8. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Yes I am
    I'm only eligible for a discount though

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    In the US I got xp pro and vista business for free at school. I guess it's different for where he lives.

@ynhdarkman
    Maybe just save money and get RTM and use loader dude

10. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    LOL
    Already am ;)
    I'm getting the key "just in case"

11. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    #11 ynhdarkman, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    (OP)
  12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    dude, it might take awhile but I would install win7 Home Premium or Home Basic. Then use your upgrade disk to upgrade it to Pro. That way you do not have to worry about registry hacks that may transfer over when you upgrade.

13. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #13 WinFLP, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    #14 ynhdarkman, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    So, boot from the DVD and clean install all the way then?

15. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #15 sam3971, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    What I would actually do is install Home Premium, then use your retail key for Professional in windows anytime upgrade. Once the upgrade is complete install your personal pro license key if it not already activated with your key. That would probably be the safest/best/quickest way to do it without messing anything up dude.

16. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    @WinFLP Yes you can use a retail key like that in windows anytime upgrade. I have just confirmed that with my MSDN retail key for Ultimate. Nice suggestion btw. :)

17. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Well then, can I get a bootable USB to install and an Easy Transfer file in the same USB drive without having conflicts while booting? Doesn't matter if I have to do the Easy Transfer manually after install... I don't wanna run out of blank DVDs :D

18. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Yes. No conflicts, I do that myself works good.

19. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Thanks for the quick answer

20. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    agreed, no issues here either just clean crisp upgrades. BTW I have personally tested "Windows Anytime Upgrade" on every version of win7 so I can test my AIO activation kit and every one worked with flying colors.