A few questions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nongshim, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

I was in the bios and was wondering what these really do and do I need them:
    PXE ROM Download
    Network Boot
    Fast Boot (I usually disable this)

Also in Window, under Windows Features On or Off:
    NET Framework 4.6 -- WCF Services -- TCP Port Sharing
    Legacy Components -- DirectPlay
    Remote Differential Compression API Support
    SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
    Windows Process Activation Service
    Windows Subsystem For Linux
    XPS Services
    XPS Viewer
    ----------------------------
    I know it's quite a few things but I would really appreciate your time and answers.
    Thank you.

2. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

It could also be NIC PXE Option ROM Download if that in anyway is different from PXE ROM Download.

3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    PXE ROM Download - This is if your pc is connected to a server, it pulls down the login information, normal standalone pc's not require it, safe to disable.

Network Boot - Same as above, allows booting from another pc/server, safe to disable.

Above two are not needed and can safely be disabled.

Fast Boot - this speeds up the booting of the pc, it skips some items being checked such as memory, saves a few seconds if fast boot enabled.

Also in Window, under Windows Features On or Off:
    NET Framework 4.6 -- -if you use any program that uses .NET features, most programs ask to install/download its required .NET files anyway.

WCF Services -- To do with allowing one service to send data to another and back.

TCP Port Sharing - WCF also introduces a new system component, the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service that enables net.tcp ports to be shared across multiple user processes. (copied from Microsoft website).

Legacy Components -- DirectPlay - this is for some older games that use DirectX. (DirectPlay was part of DirectX, and was used for networking and multiplayer gaming by some games.)

Remote Differential Compression API Support - The Remote Differential Compression (RDC) feature is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) that applications can use to determine if a set of files have changed, and if so, to detect which portions of the files contain the changes. (copied from Microsoft website)

SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support - for legacy printers and sharing of files for older computers using Xp etc.

Windows Process Activation Service - not normally required for normal users.

Windows Subsystem For Linux - This allows BASH commands from Linux to be used under Windows.

XPS Services - XPS things are Microsoft's equivalent to PDF, also allows you to 'print' to this file.
    XPS Viewer - Allows you to view the XPS document created, similar to WORD viewer.

This is a simplified explanation of the items you mentioned, for more in depth, (and sometimes complicated), details a quick search on the net will explain more about them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Thank you my friend, much appreciated. :)

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Basically its all personal preference if things are enabled or not, but yes it is nice to know what these features are/do. Most can be left disabled, any program requiring such features usually ask to either install or download the required parts to function.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...