A little help/clarification about using MMTool to replace an SATA controller rom

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Mar 22, 2010.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    I am trying to mod the bios for an ASRock K7Upgrade-880 motherboard. I searched briefly here, and I think no bios mod has been done for this one yet. What I want is to replace the SATA controller rom with a newer version so that it can handle a newer, larger sata hard drive (i.e. to fix the size limitation in the original firmware). Luckily for me, someone has already done this for practically the same motherboard, and I am just following the steps. Here it is if you want to see, but scroll down to see the comments of Charalampos.

However, a few precautionary questions before proceeding:

1.) How can I be sure that the PCI Option ROM that I want to replace is indeed the one with DeviceID 3149? As seen in screenshot? The person whose steps I'm following said so but how did he know?

[​IMG]

2.) I was able to extract the .rom file (237R497.rom) from a newer bios. To load it into MMTool, do I only need to use the replace tab? I'm a little concerned because the "Insert" tab has those extra options ... maybe I'm supposed to first delete, then insert the rom, rather than just using Replace? I don't know whether I would "compress module" or "insert uncompressed"

[​IMG]

3.) Could there be any problems if I insert the rom from a VT8237R+ south bridge chip into a motherboard having the VT8237A chip? I still have not figured out which chip mine actually is. The ASRock description only says VT8237. But according to ViA's website, there are actually 2 different kinds. I know for a fact the bios from which I extracted the newer .rom file has the R+ chip. So if my board happens to have the A instead, could that cause a screw-up?

Thank you!

2. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Ok guys, I figured out the answer to #1. Don't need help with that anymore.

Could someone please help me with the other two questions? I'm most worried about #2. From another thread I skimmed through here, it seems that maybe simply doing "replace" is not enough... Do I need to do it in separate steps, like delete first, then insert?

Thank you.