A little trouble with AIC (Application Installation Controls)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Myrrh, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #1 Myrrh, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    One of the new features in Windows 10 Creators Update is the ability to specify where applications can be installed from. I would like to implement this for my users just for that extra little warning to think about it before they install something.

Settings...Apps...Apps & features

First options "Installing apps" there is a pulldown.

I don't want to have to visit every desktop and make the change there, that would be time consuming. I looked for an associated group policy, didn't find one, but did find that the associated registry location is Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer - a string value called AicEnabled. This string can be either "Anywhere" "PreferStore" or "StoreOnly".

I want my users to have the warning so I created a group policy to set this registry entry. Problem is, after applying I can go look at the registry and the value is there as PreferStore; I can launch the settings and it shows what I want, "Warn me before installing apps from outside the Store"; but the setting is having no effect, users can still install anything without warning. This behavior even survives a reboot.

Three questions:
    1. Is there a proper Group Policy for this setting, and I've just missed finding it somehow?
    2. Why is it not working where I've applied it?
    3. Same question for the registry setting to change Powershell back to Command Prompt. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced DWORD:DontUsePowerShellOnWinX = 1) That one works as registry, but is there a proper Group Policy for it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Just checking... nobody else has ever done this before?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...