A problem with headphones

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Fusion, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    Hi all!
    I have a problem with my headphones:
    Whenever I try to listen to something the volume comes out over the right headphone. The left headphone is totaly out. I tried to adjust the "balance" but it was balanced already. Also tried with new headphones....... same problem. Any ideas what to do?

2. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    try download the newest audio drivers for you sound card

3. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Faulty jack socket is my bet............

4. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    The jack is ok and the drivers are up-to-date. The headphones are new. Got anything else :? Its annoying to listen just from one headphone :X

5. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #5 jabberwocky, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    most PCs have jacks front and back , are they both the same?
    if you have tried two pairs of headphones , and they both show the same problem but both work in other devices ,say a Hi Fi or Radio then it has to be one of 3 things ,(1) faulty jack (or your not pushing the socket fully home)
    (2) drivers ,latest arnt allways the best ,, you could try uninstalling them and try an earlier version .
    (3) the balance has been set to the extreme (right or left), and you have checked that.
    I have never seen an adjustment (apart from balance) that could give that effect .so it stands to reason ,it must be one of the first 2.

there is a 4th but I dont think you want to be concidering a faulty mainboard or sound card quite yet.

6. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    Maybe I have to add, that I am using a laptop.
    That problem was on my old pc, that was running on XP. I decided that the problem is from my pc, cuz it was crap. But now....

7. microjunk

microjunk MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    using a laptop.....check to make sure you have it in the right hole. some laptops can be tricky and they are usually not color coded like pcs. it may seem silly to check and double check and recheck again but you may be overlooking something.

8. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    Everything's fine. But still have that problem :/

9. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    People have suggested every reasonable suggestion and you keep saying that "everything is fine but still have problem".

If everything is fine, great, give them all a rep point for fixing your comupter, if it isn't fine take it to a shop because you are not listening to people who are trying to help you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    When i said everything's fine, I just answered the question above my post. I did everything that they said me, but still can't fix that one. Any other suggestions?

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #11 Dolorous Edd, Nov 29, 2009
    Take your headset to another computer/device, see if both speakers work. If so then there is something wrong with your sound. Another possibility is that a jumper came off of the FP_Audio header or something is wrong with the FP audio jack. You can remove the front panel audio connector and install jumpers according to the manual for the mobo and see if you have output to the back-plane connector.

Before messing with that, try the steps below.

1. when (if ever) did both audio channels work. (if a new PC or motherboard then go to step 4)
    2. What have you done since that time. (restore to a point before they quit working)
    3. Do other headphones work on your computer (if so, your new headphones are bad)
    4. Do the headphones in question work on other devices. (if so, then your sound is at fault, software or hardware).

If one and two apply and your headphones work on other devices then restore to a point before you lost a channel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    That applies to a desktop PC. He's working with a laptop.

Could you tell me how you've determined that the headphone jack (or the circuitry/wiring to it) on the laptop (not on the end of the headphone wire) is okay if you haven't gotten any headphone to work correctly with it? That honestly sounds like the most likely culprit if we can depend on everything else you've said.

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Missed that, wasn't in the first post.

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #14 genuine555, Nov 29, 2009
    Having read this entire thread, and if all previous input is correct, that looks like the most probable cause indeed.
    Try using an external (usb) soundcard if u can.
    Laptops are more susceptible to hardware malfunctions, due to loose connectors/soldering points/connections/capacitators/etc...

Try wiggeling the jack around a bit when connected, to see if sound on the other side pops on and off when doing that.

Also, u said that first u had the issue with an old pc, and now on the laptop. If that is correct, the problem lies with the headphones, NO doubt.
    But you also said you tried other headphones and still have the problem...
    So those two statements, in my opinion, are in direct conflict with each other. OR you are not trying out the things u are advised, OR you are pulling some legs here :confused: