A question about BIOS flashing.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by AzureTempest, Jun 14, 2014.

1. AzureTempest

AzureTempest MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2014
    Hey guys!

I have a question for you. I have a modded bios for my laptop, with an .fd extension. A guy that modded it, posted a tutorial for emergency flashing, which includes removing a battery, AC adapter...

Can I flash an bios with .fd extension, in DOS mode. I've managed to set it all up on my USB flash drive. I have an Insyde 2.13 BIOS. In DOS, I entered:

First one is a BIOS package I downloaded from an manufacturer official site. Second one is the modded BIOS. This didn't work however, and it responded with a error:

This modded BIOS has 4 mb. I also have an "de-capsulated" BIOS file with the same name, this one however has 8 mb. Which one should I use and how? Can this be done in DOS, or do i have to follow the recovery procedure? My current BIOS is working properly, but I need to change advanced options, in order to install an older OS.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You can only bypass the security check by flashing via recovery. Official Windows or DOS based flasher checks the signature which is broken in case of modded bios.

3. AzureTempest

AzureTempest MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2014

I see, it makes sense. Since my current bios is working, can recovery go wrong and brick my laptop, if modded BIOS name is wrong?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If the name is wrong, recovery isn't triggered so nothing happens. Be sure to read the included instructions carefully.

5. AzureTempest

AzureTempest MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2014
    Alright, sounds good to me. One more thing: I've heard that a bios flash can brick the motherboard if trying to flash a laptop with a cracked OS installed. The one I have is legitimate, since I've bought this laptop 3 months ago. Is that true? Also, after flashing, can cracking the Windows OS ruin the BIOS?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    OS & bios are independent.

7. AzureTempest

AzureTempest MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2014
    Alright, now I understand everything. Thanks a lot for answering my questions.

8. JARVIS9

JARVIS9 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2014
    @Tito i have really bad doubt ,Recently my desktop was shutdown .shows no display on monitor but the cpu operates that is fan works and lights blink,but nothing there to know what to do .So i decided to take to repair shop ..he took time and i later visited the shop he got it repaired and i asked for the reason ,he said that he did a bio flashing .or reset something like that .. i asked how did he do but denied to reply .. i googled it all over but dont understand that exact method as i have tried before taking to him like ram,unplug the power cord and hold power button,etc ..I am curious to know what is that and to resolve it...:confused::mad: