"A required device driver is missing..." Fresh install of Win 7 on new build

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Arrofalcon, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    I'm trying to do a first-time install of Windows 7 Pro from the stickied link above on a brand new computer.
    I set up RAID0 on two hard drives, and I used the Windows 7 USB tool to put Windows 7 Pro ISO on a USB stick.
    I entered BIOS and booted from the USB stick, but when I go to install windows after the splash screen, I get an error: "Load Driver: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." "Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safety remove it for this step."

I click "OK" and I get "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK."

I tried every USB port (10 of them!) and NOTHING works.

Is there something about the ISO that prevents a driver from being installed?

The only other thing I can think of right now is to open PowerISO and insert the contents of my Motherboard's CD into the ISO, put it on the USB stick via USB tool, and try opening the folder for drivers from there.

I can't even get to the desktop, etc because the OS isn't installed yet. I keep getting the error about the drivers. The driver error is preventing me from installing.
    Also - I tried browsing and all I get is Computer > Boot X > Program Files, sources, Users, Windows available to search through

Any advice?

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Stick the motherboards RAID drivers on a FAT32 USB stick and point the driver browse window to that stick when asked for the driver again

3. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Ok. Standby, I'll quick format the USB in FAT32 using CMD.
    I'm not sure which drivers are the RAID drivers off the disk, so I'll drag and drop all of them just in case. I'll report back with my findings.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Make sure they are extracted down as far as the files, no zips or Rars on the USB, just the drivers themselves, if they are exes, extract them first

What's your model motherboard?

They'll be something like SATA/RAID drivers

5. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    No luck. At the splash screen I clicked "Repair your computer" then "Load Drivers" at the bottom. When I navigated to "Computer" I only saw 1 option under "Hard Disk Drives (1)" which was "Boot (X)". Nothing relevant in there, and I noticed the size was only 28.9 MB of available 31.3 MB.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 setup with the DDR4 RAM.

In my motherboard disc I see "DriverCD" which is JScript Script File and "DriverCDHtml.ocx" which is ActiveX control. I also see a "DBIOS.dll" application extension. Nothing specifically that says RAID.

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  7. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    I only chose the repair function to see if I could select the USB from a different way.
    Ok, I downloaded the drivers files and extracted down to the iaAHCIC.ini, etc files. I dropped those on the FAT32 USB, restarted the computer, got to the Windows 7 splash screen, and am unable to see the USB stick. My only option in Browse is "Computer > Boot (X)" I have the Windows 7 ISO USB plugged in and the FAT32 USB with the .ini files plugged in, but I can't see them.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Are you booting from the Windows 7 USB install stick, running setup like normal for a clean install, then reaching the HDD selection screen?

Try changing the drive letter of the drive you are browsing manually to D: or E: or F: until you find the USB stick

9. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    #9 Arrofalcon, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    (OP)
    No, I can't get that far. I boot from the Windows 7 USB install stick which brings me to the Windows 7 splash screen that says "Install Now", "What to know before installing Windows", and "Repair your computer".

I click "Install Now", it'll say "Setup is Starting..." for about 10 seconds, then I'm brought to a screen that says "Load Driver: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." "Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safety remove it for this step."

I click "Browse" and I only see "Boot (X)", no hard drives, no USB thumb drives, nothing.
    Here's a picture of what I see after I click "Browse" (I can't post links yet, delete the spaces between the dot and the words of the link): i62.tinypic . com/2nos2x.jpg

Try changing the drive letter of the drive you are browsing manually to D: or E: or F: until you find the USB stick[/QUOTE]

10. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Nope, I actually tried that several times before. I even bought a USB 2.0 stick for this, but no luck. I've also tried installing Windows, then going back to the splash screen, switching ports, and trying again, but no luck. I also can't seem to find an option in my BIOS to turn off USB 3.0

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #13 MrMagic, Sep 19, 2015
    Test something, create a Windows 7 DVD instead of a USB stick, boot from that and see if it passes that screen

12. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    I don't have an optical drive on this build...I didn't think I'd need it o_O

The computer obviously recognizes the USB since it's booting from there and getting me to the first part of the Windows install screen, so why would it need a driver for something it's already using?

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    It's not the USB stick it needs the drivers for, it's the chipset/mobo - once it hands over control from BIOS to setup, setup needs the drivers to continue

I've seen this before, years ago, so long ago I can not remember exact the solution atm, I`m searching a few places to try kick my memory into gear

14. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Ah so in that case the optical drive likely wouldn't work anyway since setup would need the optical drive drivers to continue reading the DVD ISO

Ok, thanks for the help so far...I'm completely stumped here. This isn't the first time I've reloaded ops systems from BIOS either, but it's the first time I've ever encountered this. It's very surprising too, since this is a brand new generation CPU, Mobo, and Chipset...

15. Arrofalcon

Arrofalcon MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Ok I'll run it by those guys. Thanks!

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #19 MrMagic, Sep 19, 2015
    You seem like you'll fit in well over there :)

You'll not be able to post screens for the first 10 posts or something, so just add the URL with

hxxp://

17. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    Rufus didn't work???

windsman.