A required privilege is not held by client

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alessio89g, Jun 9, 2019.

1. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    #1 alessio89g, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    When I try to paste a file in %SystemDrive% (C:\) I get this message:
    "Error 0x80070522: A required privilege is not held by client."
    But I can make folder or shortcut in to it;
    The issue doesn't occur if I run an application as Admin (e.g. notepad) and save a file in to it;
    And I don't get that message on every sub-directories.
    Googling the message, the issue seems to be related to UAC, indeed disabling it through GPO (it's not enough through Control Panel), the issue doesn't occur; but I don't want disable UAC.
    I also tried to give all permission to my account for this directory, but nothing has changed.
    Can someone help me?

EDIT:
    I just noticed that I can paste folders but not shortcuts or everything elseā€¦

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Absolutely correct, the users, guests,etc not allowed make changes in all places, only administrators can.
    So, You can ask computer administrator to change Your privileges and then You can do changes on these places where administrator allows You to do it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    My account is an Administrator and it's the the only one in my PC.
    I'm sure that this isn't the correct behavior, because in my another PC, when I try to paste/save files in C:\ directory, UAC prompt me what to do.
    This doesn't happen in the PC I mentioned in OP, I get only that message.

4. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
  5. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
  6. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    it will restore base permissions for C:\ only, as you use it without the /t "recursive switch" (for all subdirectories and files)

7. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
  8. Thomas Dubreuil

Aug 29, 2017
    weird...don't know bro, try running cmd with NSudo or edit manually.
    Problem I think you probably need to change ownership for manual editing...
    but you can also check if there is a difference of permissions between your two computers or with this one
    10-06-2019_15h04m10s.png

9. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I've compared the permissions with the PC without the issue and now all works as expected!
    Thanks for your suggestion!