A serious question: Windows 10 on Acer One with 8GB SSD?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Mar 11, 2018.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As the title says!

I've got a 10 years old Acer Aspire One, Model ZG5 on my table, with a 1 core Atom N270 CPU, 1.5GB RAM, and 8GB SSD. There's a XP Pro with SP2 installed and running.

So, would Windows 10 run on that Dino, and what version you suggest?

I expect serious and polite answers only. Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShiningDog

ShiningDog MDL Senior Member

Feb 25, 2018
    its only have 8gb storage, how can you possibly run any official windows 10 version without problems?i guess a x86 install would take whole space.
    may be some custom super lite windows 10 edition may manage to install under 4 or 5 gb.
    btw your cpu benchmark is too low. i would suggest you to stick with windows xp.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #3 hearywarlot, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #4 tonto11, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    @pisthai I also have an Acer Aspire one just like yours
    when I got it, it had so much junk on it that it would not boot.
    I got the restore disk from Acer but that still had a lot of bloatware
    so I got it running then threw out all the bloatware, now I've got it down to 4.4gb of the 8gb ssd
    then I put a 32gb sd card and installed all my stuff on that
    with that done it does not work too bad

I would not install anything bigger on it without changing the ssd for something bigger
    I think an iPod drive would fit. It's a 1.8 in ATA drive with a ZIF connector not your common drive.

As you might imagine I run SLAX on it booting from a usb flash.

BTW while Aspire one is very easy to carry, has lots of connectivity ports, and with a large battery will last for a good long time, I find that little bitty screen very tiring to use for any length of time.

...T

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for all answer.

If the people would take the time and have checked the actual physical spec of the 'toy', special of that ZG5 model with 8GB SSD, they would have known that there isn't a way to 'upgrade' except for the RAM from 512MB to a max of 1.5GB. There two different Model of the ZG5, one with that 8GB SSD and another with 120GB-160GB SATA2 HDD, which could be upgraded to a max of 320GB. The Mainboard and the lower (bottom) of the case are different on both models and could not be exchanged with each other.
    The last I know because I have both of those devices on my table. The story of those devices is, I do some help with to get such devices back to work for an Orphanage with also disabled young people for free. That 2 devices I was just got in the least week from them and both weren't working at all. Got both back to work and on the one, with normal HDD I got Windows 10 32bit running quite well, and now I'm on that SDD 'toy'.

For my own, I run Windows 10 32bit as Pro version on 3 Tablets with the lower one with 1GB RAM and 16GB ROM, the other two with 2GB RAM and 32GB ROM, look HERE. I just used to create some down stripped Pro ISO because there're many things in Windows 10 I don't use at all. That said, with just 1GB RAM and 16GB ROM, Windows 10 Pro works even better and faster than the Home version!

Same as I'd done for the Tablets, I'll create a 'special' Windows 10 version for the ZG5 with 8GB SSD and try to get that working.

And for sure, I'll add some 16-32GB SD Cards to that 8GB device. I could get Windows 10 Pro down to around 6.2GB already and will install that first and see how that will work.

And thanks for any more suggestions, based on the spec of that device.

6. useru

useru MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2012
    Do you use "dism /apply-image /compact" ?

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    With just 500MB left on free space on the now installed and down stripped Windows 10 Pro I added the command to compress, not via DISM, just via elevated CMD: compact /compactOS:always. That will need some time to be finish.

Overall, the similar device Acer Aspire One ZG5, not with SSD just with SATA2 HDD 160GB, works quite a bit faster, even that OS, same, just less down stripped, works more fast and nice. Also, the CPU's on both the same as well as the MB except the connector for the Drive. So, I think that that 8GB SSD is on the border of its life and will not work much longer. In Reality, what we really could expect from a 10 years old SSD? On that PCB of that SSD is just I Flash Memory Chip. I may talk to some engineer who's an expert for SSD drives, and ask it would be possible to exchange that Chip to a new one and even add 2 more to that PCB because its designed for 3 Flash Memories.
    On that ZG5 with HDD's, and according to Acer, the max is 160GB But I was also checking to connect a 320GB HDD and that worked, while a 500GB didn't. Just, if I would add 2GB RAM, that would not work. Both devices have 512MB RAM soldered on Mainboard and a slot for 1 DDR2 available. Adding 1 GB works just fine while adding 2GB didn't.

I also checked with the Portable SSD Fresh 2018 from Ablesoft and after running Optimize, it was showing that it's still in excellent condition, but I didn't saw noticeable changes. Are there any other apps for SSD I should try?

Thanks.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    So, Ok, now the compacting is done, after more than 3 hours!! I believe that long time is as well about the little free space left and also about the age of that SSD of 10 years. Overall, that device runs with SSD slower than the one with HDD!
    Now I'll run a Disk Cleanup and see that brings a bit more. Ok, and is just 4MB!

On the other hand, it's possible run Windows 10 Pro "Lite" on such low power machine, Ok for some kids but adults?!

Maybe the next try will be Linux. That should works ways better and faster. Anyway, I still have really doubs about that 10 years old SSD!

9. freibooter

freibooter MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Has anyone already mentioned that the Windows 10 1709 no longer supports the Atom CPU in question? Anniversary Update should be the last one to actually function at least in theory and it will be supported until 2023.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, the Atom CPU, also that 10 years old one single core still works with no problems. On my table are 3 Tablets with Atom CPU's and 2 Acer Aspire One ZG5 with single-core Atom CPU's are all on 1709 16299.125 updated till today just running well!

11. JeepWillys58

JeepWillys58 MDL Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Hi Dear friend Pisthai,

I had an Acer Aspire One 532h-2035 with Intel Atom N450, 2gb mem and a 160gb notebook hdd, which version of Windows you recommend 10 to use on him, in your opinion.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 10 Pro 32bit latest official build. I wouldn't use the Home Version, it is slower than the Pro, as I'd checked both, and also more stable. You could also use the ToolKit 8.x for to create your own special Version of W10, and remove all what you never would use, to free up some more Resources, which may also speed up the OS a little.

The Atom N450 is also just a Single Core CPU (with 2 Threads) and supports no more than 2GB of Memory. That limits the use to a 32bit OS.

I would delete the Pagefile or redirect it to a permanent inserted fast SD-Card of 2GB or bigger.

Overall, the Aspire One is just working quite well with Windows 10 Pro and is an excellent Netbook for mobile use.

13. JeepWillys58

JeepWillys58 MDL Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Thank you for reply my friend.

Could you tell me what you removed from your Windows 10 installation, maybe it might be a good way for me to do it in my case as well.

Thanks in advanced.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It would be irrelevant to tell you WHAT I removed because my needs are different from Yours and others!

I would suggest if you like to try out, download the ToolKit 8.x, read info's what all you could do with it and start to create your own 'special' ISO. Only you for yourself will know what you need and what don't. Its all about what you'll use your machine for. Normally the Aspire One is an excellent machine for temporary and mobile use because of its low weight and its good Battery, but for heavy use!

Sorry for that I didn't go into details about what I change in ISO's for my own use.