A Slightly Technical Question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Sep 9, 2015.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I have changed the layout of my desktop in Windows 10, and have come across an issue I never really thought about before, and I cannot find a solution for how to solve the issue.

When saving a shortcut for a file, document, website, whatever.... to my desktop (normally using the Send To method), the default position of those created shortcuts are on the left side of the screen, starting from the top, and going down the left side.

Would anyone happen to know of a hack to make the saved positions start on the right side of the screen? I already have View-Align Icons to Grid unchecked, if that's any help.

Any thoughts on a solution?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Right Click on that Shortcut Icon and move it to where you like to have it, after that do a Right Click on the screen and chose Refresh. That should solve your problem!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for the reply, but what I'm looking for is a way to change something within the OS, so that the shortcut icon is saved on the right side of the screen in the 1st place (by default).

I have overlays and such on the left side of my desktop, and so to get to any icons over there, I have to move the overlays first, then move the icons. I want to avoid that, and so my question.. ;)

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I'd imagine it would be a registry edit, but couldn't tell you what

A temp workaround would be to add some custom icons (No image or a nicer than default icon image) down the left side of your screen, so that any new icons created, are forced to appear after those you created, away from the overlays

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #5 odiebugs1, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yep, it is and it's stored in -
    Code:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop
    It appears to be Key- FFlags and Item position. I believe FFlags must be modified to using- modify,- Hexadecimal must be set to-"40200220" and decimal, set to "1075839520"

Now the item position is set for a resolution and the key is a large group of binary data, so the relative position for it location on the RT must be examined out of all the lines.

I don't have time to finish testing, must go so maybe someone who's never been Ninja'd :p:rolleyes: can finish and then have them export the full key of desktop, saved then renamed the key iin registry and reset. Which should hold the position.

6. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    @ MrMagic Thanks for the idea! But my overlay is partially transparent, so the placeholder icons won't really work for me.

@ odiebugs Outstanding!! That's a very good start! I am no where near smart enough to finish up on that information, so hopefully someone with mad tech skills can finish the concept!

I do hope!! :worthy:

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #7 MrMagic, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I will most certainly keep that in mind, as a fail-safe solution. But, just for the sake of seeing if it can be done, I'm hoping someone can come up with a permanent solution via a reg edit.

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    You'd think MS would have added that as an option, like left and right handed context menus, right to left languages, switching left and right mouse buttons etc

10. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I agree, but I suppose Mr. Gates does not... :cool:

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    There's a lot of things Gates doesn't want us to be able to do. LMAO

Now, what is your screen resolution ? The reason I ask, is because the Binary data file is large and I can't expand the file to see all the data, so I have to take screen shots for only a few lines and it's a pain in the :moon:

So I was thinking of just exporting the full desktop file and upload it to where you want and have you save and import it into your registry.

If you don't like this idea let me know, I know I use to have a app that would do this, but I have 4 storage drives with tons of sht on them, so if I have too I'll find it.

12. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #12 ChaserLee, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    (OP)
  13. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Scratch that. I found out that this binary data has the icons and their placement so if I give you my file, it will cause problems, the data has placement for each icon, I assumed it was string data for each grid with it depending on icon size for the grid.

Sorry. Keep holding on, keep your fingers crossed. :biggrin:

14. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    No problem, I thank you for your efforts anyways!!!!!

Something will turn up, I have faith! :biggrin:

15. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
  16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #16 odiebugs1, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  17. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thank you for the idea. I have heard of this program in the past, I just never really had a use for it. I will certainly keep it in mind, one can never have too many tools in the toolbox!! :)

18. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
  19. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    The results are in, and these are them. Or, these are those. OR, here they are...... lol

Alright, after taking both programs for a spin, the end result was interesting. I first took Iconiod for a drive until I burnt up the brakes. Then I jumped in Fences 2 and gave that a run until I blew out the transmission. In the end, both programs did what they said they would do, but for my needs, Fences 2 just barely edged out Iconiod in the quarter mile. ( Thanks Aly, you made a good member of the pit crew )

It seemed I had more control over icon placement with Fences 2, and could define a particular area with ease, so that one gets a new set of tires and a roll cage from me. Right then, I'm off to fill the tank up, and take it down the road.

Many, many thanks to all who suggested ways for me to resolve the issue with icon placement!

A hearty hardy, hidey ho.... and down the road I mean to go............. :clap: