A Super High Compression

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by solicvintoss, Dec 17, 2009.

1. solicvintoss

solicvintoss MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2009
    Hi Guys! I want to ask something. When I browse the net, I found a link to download Microsoft Office 2007 that compressed to only a few MB (4MB-9MB). The question is, how to do it? Compress from hundred MB to only a few MB. Is there any special method?

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Probably 7-zip self extractor but in saying that i would not download it seems far to small i,e fake. I have repackaged office 2003 it contains only excel and word it is only 56.4 MB

3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I can assure you 100 percent that is a fake. Its like the super mega compressed GTA IV claiming to be only a few MB, its literally and physically impossible. Compression works by finding repeated sequences which are then referenced. There is a limitation to how small these sequences can be since you have to consider that they need to be referenced which takes space. You can treat all the files as one with 7zip and rar, and treat it like a single files for the repeated sequences which in most cases improves compression efficiency. Most repeated code of significant value thats repeated across files is link to a DLL (dynamically linked file).

If you run it, you will most likely get a virus, adware, or something else bad will happen!

The only really small installation files for something big is by the use of an online installer, and they're usually much smaller than that, and that is definitely not one of them!

4. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Sounds good, I'll check it out. Regardless on how good the algorithm is, if Office can get down to 4MB it means there is only 4mb of unique code in it! Actually, considering repeated code has to be referenced, it would be more like 3.5MB or less unique code.

5. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    i got microsoft office down to 28.4mb..

The one that you saw was probably fake...
    its impossible even if you use the most advanced
    archiver in the whole wide world... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I'd say even 28.4 is a little low, when you take in to account full Office covers:
    - Word
    - Excel
    - Powerpoint
    - Publisher
    - Access
    - Outlook
    - Onenote

And you include the different input options plus other options that you haven't selected to install normally!

And you cover not only the Office folder under Program Files, but also:
    - Common files\Microsoft Shared
    - any files installed in the Windows folders

Of course doing that you won't be able to run office, you'd have to go off the original installation files.

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I'd say it's the bootstrapper, so this is only the wizzard and it downloads the programs you want. But 4MB only for the bootstrapper is way too big.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. solicvintoss

solicvintoss MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2009
    Could it be Miliki super compressor?

9. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    Yes, too much system resources + they take a lot of time to compress + they use symmetric algorithms, meaning decompression time is about the same as compression time.

Just try the paq8px linked above and see for yourself.

10. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    maybe it downloads something you don't want too...

11. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    A small file is more likely to have a virus than a big file. LOL. That's my experience with P2P.