A 'support' forum run by trolls ?!? (Say it ain't so !!)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by smallhagrid, Apr 2, 2020.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Is such a thing even possible ??
    I'd have thought not, until I needed some assistance & fell right into just such a place.

Sadly, I knew no better than to post a query there - only to get a bunch of nastygrams in reply to a query that only needed a 1 sentence solution.
    I fixed the problem, shook my head in disbelief, moved on - and forgot all about that place.

Now it is a couple of years later & I found myself puzzled by a different problem (which remains unsolved even now), and without remembering the flaming trolls, wandered back there again - and posted my query without any thought of the flaming that was not only possible, but pretty much guaranteed there.

Oooops.
    I was reminded of it very quickly when the flaming replies began.

Once again, my query most likely has a solution which would be just a couple of sentences in length, but what I got instead was a bunch of nastier & nastier replies - and of course - zero support.

When it became clear that I was merely a target, I removed ~90% of what I'd written & the moderator there then made it clear that the trolls also included himself.

Now, having said all that - should you wish to access your office network from home via OpenVPN & VNC during a time (like now...) when going there is not possible - and if that connection needs fixing, well...

If you think of getting help at the OpenVPN 'support' forum, I suggest that you fuggedaboudit.

Being able to access the entire network at my friend's little home office via VNC is very fast & solid - when it is working, but right now I cannot use that.

Fortunately for me I do have some limited access, still, via the free version of Anydesk, but until I can go there to manually access the OpenVPN server, it is all I've got that works.

I've run across some very haughty treatment, sometimes to the point of snarkiness at Linux forums by the highbrows who sneer at anyone they consider below their user levels - but even those folks can be helpful every so often...they are truly mild-mannered compared with the OpenVPN Support Trolls !!

This makes me wish most sincerely that some simpler & better remote access solution would exist (not Teamviewer, thanks), but I've found nothing yet that is totally better than the combo of OpenVPN & VNC.

Thanks for reading all this !!