A very interesting problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by double_kill, Dec 11, 2013.

1. double_kill

double_kill MDL Member

Oct 10, 2011
    recently I installed windows 8.1... fresh install.. no other programs on it.
    I installed my video driver (Intel graphics 4000) and now I'm faced with a weird issue (ALSO: it is the most recent version)...
    after restarting (every time) the laptop it boots into windows... but then shows no screen.. just black with the backllight LED's.... when I shut the lid and reopen it starts showing the desktop, etc again.. realllllllly annoying for me :mad:

any ideas?

Dell inspiron 15r
    4gb ram
    Intel i3
    intel graphics 4000 64mb

*not the biggest fan of windows 8 but wanted to try 8.1 just for the lulz so meh*:druff:[h=3][/h]

2. Mike.Chance

Mike.Chance MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    Just to check - have you left it a little while? One of my PCs goes black for a short while during the boot process.

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There was an x86 problem with booting IIRC that was patched. If you are using x86 version of Windows, I'd suggest patching before rebooting the first time.

4. Mrwirez

Mrwirez MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I have the black/greyed out screen also on my 12 year old son's newly built Win 8.1 Pro x64 machine. I am "almost" certain it is a corrupted nvidia video driver. I was trying to go to safe-mode, and after a reboot, this issue started. The PC boots up fine, but right before the lock screen shows up the screen is black or greyish, and all that is showing is the mouse pointer, ease of access button, and the shut down button... My second problem is when we installed the OS, I used sysprep and moved the uses folder to "D" drive. Now, windows 8.1 won't allow me me rebuild, repair, replace, or reset the system. If anyone knows of a fix, I sure would appreciate it.. :(

I can get to troubleshooting, cmd prompt X:\source, and repair-reset.. but windows is being very stubborn

5. Mrwirez

Mrwirez MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Never mind, I booted into Advanced Recovery and did a refresh.. BETTER than a Fresh Install.
    HELLO? HellOoooo? elloooo ellooo?? Lol