A very slow boot of grub4dos Vistaloader part on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by VistaLoader, May 27, 2008.

1. VistaLoader

VistaLoader MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2008
    Hi!
    I would ask for your help with Vistaloader 2.1.x on Macbook Pro that I own.
    The activation stuff itself works ok with Vista Ultimate SP1 32 bit, but the execution of grub4dos related part on every boot is very slow - about 2 minutes or more before Vista starts loading. After that everything works fine.
    Macbook Pro is an apple x86 equipped by EFI instead of BIOS.
    So I think it uses some sort of BIOS emulation provided by a piece of software called BootCamp.
    This slow boot really pisses me off and I don't know what to do.
    If any of you has an access to the sources of the modified grub4dos and could provide some debug versions to me, I would be very happy to assist you and run those versions, so we could try to solve this problem.

Thanks much,

Vistaldr.

2. Marc

Marc MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2008
    Me too

Hey there,

I too have a MacBook Pro with the same issue. Vista runs great, but before the Windows splash screen appears with the green scrolling bar, sits there for 50 seconds every time with a black screen and just the blinking underscore cursor "_" :mad:

Although not a serious problem, it's darn annoying that it takes so long to boot. I think it must be the EFI, like you said. I think only Vista X64 with SP1 supports it. Sadly my computing knowledge is nowhere near advanced enough to do anything about this. :p

Marc

3. dielbr

dielbr MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2008
    so there is no way to fix it using windows 32bit? I have the same problem here and a just can't install X64 'cause my Macbook has INtel Core DUo CPU and it hasn't support for 64bits =/:(

4. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
    I'm afraid not. AFIAK there is no way to fix it.

If you had a Core 2 Duo you'd be set.. but not with Core Duo.

5. callum33

callum33 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2010
    hi, i know theres like no chance on getting a reply here because it has been over a year since the last post,

but i am running intel core 2 Duo and have the same problem if someone could explain how fix the long startup

it would be much apprecitaed as its so frustrating waiting for it to load, thanks