A x64 option with minimum bloatware

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Walker D, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Walker D

Walker D MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    Hi,

I've been visiting the forum for some time already, but I still don't know that much about windows 8.1 (since I used to deal with 7 only). But I'm thinking about installing a win8.1 on a new build that I made.

What x64 version is recommended if I don't care about most bloatware that would be on a clean install (or maybe on Enterprise and Pro versions)?

There's real advantages to use a Pro version (and should I prefer the VL ones to activate it more easily)?

And about the activation, my only/best option with Win8.1 would be using something like KMSpico? (don't know if it'll have a process running every time to reset that 180 days of activation..)

I've downloaded a iso from the "Windows 8.1 Update 3 / November Rollup" thread some days ago, but I preferred to wait until I new well enough what I should be doing.

btw, since I'm already writing, I was impressed by the amount of contribution that some users give to the community here ..there's some pretty cool guys on this forum
    :)

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I would recommend Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro.

3. Walker D

Walker D MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    #3 Walker D, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    (OP)
    Um... I don't know the difference of the Embedded from the Enterprise edition ...wouldn't it have lot's of irrelevant software focused on enterprise protection?

BTW, after knowing which windows to get, should I get the most recent iso, and after activation, update it normally (or it's not totally possible, and I need to update some stuff differently)?
    I'm asking it also cause I don't know if older versions would be easier to activate, compared with the last one.

4. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    server 2012 r2 or server 10 beta

5. Walker D

Walker D MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    um.. Related to that I got to the thread named "Windows Server 2012 & 2012 R2 OEM SLP Keys"
    but what should I use those keys for? ..it's for activate a specific win version? And why should I use it?

Sorry if my doubts are too obvious btw

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Definitely Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro

It has only what is needed and none of the extra ****

sebus

7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I guess these questions are somewhat subjective, but:

1. How much disk space is saved?
    2. Are memory requirements reduced?
    3. Is it snappier / more responsive?
    4. Can it or does it require a Microsoft account?

And now, the most important question:

Why am I bothering to ask as I am downloading it now and will find out for myself?
    (A. Too much eggnog!)

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You are right.
    I did say Embedded above because it has one or two, I really don't know lol, less Store Apps out-of-the-box than, for instance, Windows 8.1 Pro.
    But yes, it still using almost same amount of disk space, so the RAM, so I believe the OP will be just fine using Pro edition anyway.

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Does memory matter if you install x64 OS? No, it does not, and if it does to you then there is something wrong somewhere.
    60 Gb SSD for under £30 is all the is required for full setup, so space does not really matter.

I never used anything in 8.x flavour (apart from 8.1 Embedded), so can not comment. You want really fast OS then install Puppy Linux

Nothing requires MS account, all can run on local account, you might just not be able to use some bits