about activating help me.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bioss, Mar 29, 2010.

1. bioss

bioss MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    #1 bioss, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    hello, i have a acer motherboard with the DELL slic 2.1 inserted on it, and I also im using a DELL cert on c: and a dell ultimate key SLP.

my question is, can i download the wat update and try to validate? or do i need to do something else? and one more thing, i have read that wat update can periodically check our systems to verify if they still remain genuine.... by removing the update they can check our system ? just wondering if the could do so.

Thank You.

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    If you are activated and did everything right you should be okay. But why bother as it is a voluntary update and you aren't gaining anything installing it.

3. bioss

bioss MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    yea... its voluntary and i gain nothing but just preparing my laptop for the future validation when that update
    comes within w7 SP1....

4. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    If you are willing then download and validate your copy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    If I was you I would update the mod to acer 2.1 acer cert and key to aviod wat update

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Exactly try and keep as much as close to original i know that keys will activate any manufacturer but i still believe MS will eventually check keys issued with manufacturer names.

7. bioss

bioss MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    so... if i wanna get a bios mod to acer 2.1 slic i need to reflash my bios again! and someone has to mod my default bios again..... So it was useless flash with 2.1 dell cert on my acer bios huh.....

i dont wanna flash again thats risky.... i know im going to remain like this....

and one more thing, even if i get acer slic and acer cert.... MS would be able to check my motherboard serial number and compare if that SN is correct to my slic version ( whicht is not...)

8. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    As of right now ms only looks at the dmi pool data for the bios date

9. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Acer cert+acer key+acer bios/motherboard(?)= forever genuin..
    If the date matches and is atleast 2009 (im pretty sure).

10. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    there has been a report that some oem's have slic 2.1 as far back as dec 2008 post your bios link here and will take a look

11. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #12 Brainsuck, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  12. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Well at least currently, none of this is happening. They don't even catch mismatched keys vs brand at this point. I think you are giving them far too much credit if you think they can match your SN with a SLIC.

I think they will tighten it up as much as they can but remember they have to be very careful to avoid legitimate installs from OEMS.

13. bioss

bioss MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    #14 bioss, Mar 29, 2010
    (OP)
    thank you you all, ive donwloaded the 1.35 acer 2.1 silc moded just in case i needed in future!

in case i wanna flash, what file do i need to flash? theres so many of them, .rom , .wph, whicht one is the correct?

im using w7 x64 so , can i flash from win7? or only in DOS?

14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #15 Rosco, Mar 29, 2010
    Seriously - M$ are going to invest the enormous amount of time and effort to check all the things that need checking to ensure they catch the pirates ??

They might as well try to check what I had for breakfast.

And all of this new stuff only works if you sign up online to let it work.

The end result will be either a reduced market share for M$ or a lot of compromised systems keeping the malware invasion going at full steam - neither is a consequence M$ want.

If they wanted to seriously reduce piracy they could have released XP without volume licence keys, released XP, Vista and 7 without SLP and required every system to activate online.

They didn't and they won't - simple.

They have always relied on FUD !!!

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    They did match keys for XP OEM SLP Fair enough it used DMI and OEMBIOS files for different manufacturers. all i was saying it seems just common sense if possible if you have a branded machine try and keep to same brand.

16. bioss

bioss MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    so, its not a good idea to mantain a slic 2.1 inserted on my bios if the brand of the slic doesnt match with my brand of my motherboard. I know, some day ill have to flash.....