About PCBSD release 10.02

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tiger-1, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #1 Tiger-1, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Hi dudes, well now I am testing this amazing build on my slower notebook ;) (only 3gb of memory and Pentium dual core @ 2.13GHZ) yet I need understand this new system a lot of course and configure correctly, for a while I am very happy with it I need see about drivers in general and news about Vulcan project because I love games :p

then I hope some opinions and help as necessary thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    How is PC-BSD working for you?

I myself have found that FreeBSD is a lot faster and a lot less bloated. Plus you can still pull any software you want from the PC-BSD repos.

BUT FreeBSD is a lot more complicated to get installed and maintain.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep really, but if you scrow down on Freebsd website you find this desktop version (something as 4.10 GB iso) extremely simple to install at least for a while :cool: and I don`t have time yet to verify the core of system one thing what I love (using KDE) are configurations to desktop simply amazing 1.000.000 times better than Windows 10 trust me I don`t see nothing more impactant and I need install Lumina (another complement I think) but what I believe is more or less hard to compile however I think what is fantastic ok. go ahead and sorry for my bad english because I am autodidact ;)

4. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Lumina is another DE, an alternative to KDE. I believe that it was/is being developed as a *BSD native DE instead of forking things like KDE, Cinnamon, Gnome etc from GNU/Linux.

I like FreeBSD/Cinnamon, but recently they have updated their Cinnamon fork and the SLiM DM so I cannot get it up and running properly. If things continue to go down the systemd path in GNU/Linux, I will be spending more time figuring out how to get Cinnamon working, and converting to the FreeBSD camp.

I could never get PC-BSD to work properly with my WiFi so I gave up on it, and that was the latest version (10.2). I also found that on my hardware it runs much slower than FreeBSD.

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    right, in relation to WiFi I don`t use it then but I see what is slower really for reasons that I unknown yet with reference to Lumina I agree, so do you know how to compile correctly ? if yes please help me all steps ok dude waiting then :) (in time FreeBSD is very different than Linux I think is another way and philosophy)

6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I don't understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to compile the entire OS, or just install it?

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hehe no dude I want only compile Lumina no OS because is hard to me right :)

8. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    To install Lumina in PC-BSD you can just use the installer, it wont build it from source, but it will install it from the packages. I'm not that familiar with PC-BSD after that, although it might be similar to how FreeBSD does it.

In FreeBSD to install it (after the base installation & xorg is installed);
    Form source: # cd /usr/ports/x11/lumina/ && make install clean
    From packages: # pkg install lumina

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    that's right dude thanks a lot for explain I make this after :)

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    well, I decided install this O.S on my main machine, but I have yet some problems with drivers ;) as video and audio the system is very complicated to configure correctly I think what is one mix of code Mac-OS and Linux then only with continuous use I can find the perfection, yet I need more comments about this O.S. thanks in advance dudes :)

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :mad: ahhh!!!, after several problems in relation with behavior I decided uninstall all and turn on Windows 10 by recovery image I think what only beautiful desktop is not more important and need works fine yes:sneaky:

12. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    #12 thorin0815, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

Try Mint 17.2 if you want a rockstable OS. Even with running Kernel 4.30 crashfree for days.

Mint Cinnamon hardware requirements are quite low, should run pretty smooth with your 3gb ram dual core. I tested it on my old AMD Athlon II x2 2.8 GHz/2GB ram/NVidia 9800GT and beside memory whore Firefox all went very smooth.

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #13 Tiger-1, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    (OP)
    that's right dude, hehe this night I make install of Linux Mint 17.02 Cinnamon (fresh install with nothing still added first I search good info's here before installing any things) in time I make this on my notebook LG C-400 and not in this machine my main system :p
    in time I think a lot to move for Linux in this main machine (Windows 10 x64 8 GB ram Intel processor and etc lol) :friends2:

14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    *BSD is part of Unix family, which is not linux, that's why is a bit different. For a newbie like you and me, Linux Mint is the best choice, or if you have enough time and patience on your hands...then go for it.

15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #15 Tiger-1, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    (OP)
    For all here, after long long time thinking in daybreak I make one BIG decision (my nerve is @1.000.000% furious) so NO MORE Linux, BSD and other things only MS because my root is on time of DOS (all versions) after another graphical O.S. as Windows 3.1, 3.51 and so until now my little brain now is 100% in direction to MS :yes:
    so I make fresh install of Windows Enterprise LTSB N x64 now with Windows Media Player & Windows Media Center & Office 2016 [thanks a lot for all here] all working like a charm NONE problems; next same thing on main machine and finish :p

16. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Well, pity to hear that...

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ouch! well I change my thoughts again after see several things about M$ (factory of o.s. that never ends with at least one STABLE and definitive versions because is spiyng all for unknown proprosit :cool: then for a while I ressucited my old rig Pentium 4 with Windows 7 and all my prefered games working ever OFFLINE of course :p and my notebook and PC desktop working with LINUX again, waiting some day for the Redstone (without spy I hope ;))