About the Win 7 That Comes With a New Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mthan, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Mthan

Mthan MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
  2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    well looking at the disc its most likely only set up to be a upgrade disc (though there are ways to install around that). but you will need to check the files inside to see if the toshiba slp key and cert is included or not. if it is already in it then it will only work with a toshiba system with the matching slic table in the bios unless you edited it out but then it will not be the original disc after that. did it come with any kind of new lic key or not also?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mthan

Mthan MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks for the tips. It comes with the same license key which is written under the laptop. How can i find the slp key and cert in the dvd?

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    There are no SLP Keys + certs for upgrade dvd's as far as i know, just regular upgrade key.

So it comes with the exactly the same license as on the sticky under your laptop? oO.

5. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    i have seen a number of these free win7 upgrade discs that were offered right before win7 was released come with oem slp keys. they were offered to be a free vesion of win7 about a month or so before it came out. you had to mail in for them with a coupon that came inside the box with the system when you bought it. i have seen them from dell, hp, etc. i am a repair tech and have seen many of these discs..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I think some come as system builder OEM disks and OEM upgrade keys.

7. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    correct some do. thats why i said he will have to see whats on the disc itself.

8. ahyanglf

ahyanglf MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2010
    of cource you can!

oem version need bios slic 2.1 and oem key !

9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    There are heaps on ebaY - mostly Dell, Lenovo and a few HP. All that I have seen are upgrades from Vista and they work on any PC so the key on the product must be an "OEM system builder" type key if they activate on any PC.

If the key has been activated online it won't work without begging M$ for a code over the phone which may or may not work.

Haven't seen any Toshiba ones before.

10. Mthan

Mthan MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    So if I format my laptop completely can I use this win 7 on another toshiba laptop or insyde mainboard pc?

11. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Hm you can use it on another pc beacuse oemslp keys are not specific for computer but version only.

But ill let someone verify that hehe