Access to C: and safe mode denied.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mamed, Apr 16, 2011.

1. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Hi everybody and thanks for everything you do for us.I just wanted to convert my external drive to NFTS but I can t access C: to start the conversion, and i can´t either boot in safe mode.Any help.Thanks in advance.
    Gracias.
    :mad:

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
    What do you mean by "can't access C:"? Can you not boot the computer?

Do you get an error message trying to get into safe mode or are you asked to supply a password you don't know? But you don't need to get into safe mode.

All you need to do is load Windows, bring up a command prompt and run the following command: convert X: /fcntfs Where "X" is the letter of the drive you want to convert.

If you get an error message trying to bring up a command prompt and run a command, you probably lack sufficient rights to do so. In that case you'll need to logon as an administrator or find someone who can. Or attach the external HDD to another computer that has an administrative user that can perform the conversion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    thank for the quick reply but this is what I get the command:
    C:\Users\mamed
    and then type:" convertG: /NTFS" and this is what I get:" the file name,directory name or the volume label syntax is incorrect.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. Taser

Taser MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    type this
    convert g: /fs:ntfs

6. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks alot Taser,il worked.:cheers:

7. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    :biggrin: Outstanding!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Taser

Taser MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    cheers mate, glad i could help :)