Access Windows 7 KMS Client Setup Keys straight from Microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ambidav, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
  2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    cool, but don't you need a key for the KMS Server for stuff to activate against.

3. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    with no renewals required ?
    ok i'm installing windows 7 enterprise right now !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SeventhUser

SeventhUser MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2009
    #4 SeventhUser, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  5. SeventhUser

Jul 6, 2009
    And before anyone starts using these keys again and complaining that they don't work again, I will repeat again

These are pseudo-keys which if used in the specific versions will result in the activation system trying to locate a local Key Management Server. They are NOT valid keys.

6. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    is there a possibility that we will able to activate pro or enterprise version (like with a vmware server iso) before the OEM way ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Yes they are just default KMS-clients' keys, used to activate through KMS-servers, and this activation needs renewal after 180 days.

But you guys missed the most interesting part. which is completely new in Volume activation:

===================
    Note Token-based Activation is a specialized activation option available for approved Microsoft Volume Licensing customers. It is designed for use in specific scenarios, where the end systems are completely disconnected from the network or phone. This option enables customers to use public key infrastructure (PKI) and digital certificates (or tokens, typically stored on smart cards) to activate Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows Server 2008 R2 locally without contacting either customer-hosted KMS or the Microsoft-hosted activation service using MAK. For more information about Token-based Activation, contact a Microsoft Account Team or Services Representative.
    ===================

Would be interesting to "practice" this option indeed.

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it sounds like OEM activation but with specific KMS keys and certs. I think if you contact your rep they will generate a cert for you to install on the client machine(s).

9. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    if u read the first post, it's written that windows 7 needs only one activation,
    no 180 days like vista except it's not the KMS activation but the MAK one.

"By contrast, “MAK activation is used for one-time activation through Microsoft’s hosted activation services, with no renewals required. A MAK key can be installed on a reference image of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to make all installations from that image use MAK activation instead of the default KMS activation. Doing so alleviates the need to specify a MAK in an unattended installation file,” Microsoft added."

10. Sporkman

Sporkman MDL Member

Jul 13, 2009

lol let us know how that went

11. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    lol, i didnt upgrade but as my dell xpsM1330 got no SLP 2.1 and it seems dell bios are unmoddable, my only way is this MAK activation.
    or if i'm lucky, dell will release a bios, but the xpsM1330 is not a new model...
    they dont offer upgrade for win7 with xps as they offer it with the studio xps...

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #12 HSChronic, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    And when you get an MAK key make sure you share it with the rest of us too.

MAK keys are given only to VL customers, Technet, and educational customers. They can't be seen in the registry by keyfinders, so when you get an MAK key make sure you let us know. I know I'm not giving out my KMS and MAK keys when I get them so have fun trying to get one to activate your Windows 7 Enterprise install.

Essentially MAK keys are retail keys depending on your channel. If you are an enterprise customer with a SA VL then I am sure your MAK keys support more activations. I have one server 2008 MAK key that supports 50 and another 2 that only support 1.

13. SeventhUser

Jul 6, 2009
    Note that "Token-Based Activation" came with Vista SP2. And failed to excite anyone so far ;)

14. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
  15. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #15 WinFLP, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  16. DrHax9908

DrHax9908 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010

The Windows 7 Pro key worked on my kms server. Mainly because my server will work with ANY gvlk key. And also because it's not run by slmgr.vbs. It's actually the emulated kms server from Windows 7 Loader eXtreme edition. I extracted the server itself. (gvlk as said in Windows 7 Loader eXtreme edition). If any of you want my kms server address, it's kmiester3.dlinkddns.com:1688

17. CK99

CK99 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    Nice Post. Thanks for the keys!

18. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    The GVLKs are on every WIN7 DVD in products.ini. Last set in the list.

And to the poster above: The KMS Host from that 'W7L extreme edition' is simply ZWTs Host because to date no other offline Host has been released.

Also i doubt that anyone would connect to some strangers machine when they can use the offline Host perfectly fine and safely on their own machine...

19. DrHax9908

DrHax9908 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    You know, the real reason I extracted that program was so I could run a KMS server to activate computers on my network without having 5 computers always linking to it. The real reason I opened the port is so I could share it with my friends. I put the address online so if any people wanted to, they could use it. Can't someone try to help others without having someone say that it wouldn't catch on?