Accidentally installed XP mode without enabling hardware virtualization

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Urzack, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Urzack

Urzack MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2010
    HP m9715f. Win 7 Professional.

I knew my comp. had hardware virtualization, but it didn't occur to me to check to see if it was enabled. I installed Virtual PC and XP mode per MS's instructions online. It works dandy (though I haven't really stressed it yet).

*Then* it occurred to me to peek into the BIOS settings on startup. Lo and behold, "virtualization technology" was disabled. The description seemed to be saying it's better NOT to enable it unless you're going to run multiple virtual environments, which I'm unlikely to do, but I enabled it anyway.

When I rebooted the host and tried to open XP mode, I got an error message. So I restarted again and reset it to "disabled." Now XP mode functions again.

Do I need to uninstall Virtual PC and XP mode, then enable "virtualization technology," and then reinstall Virt PC and XP mode?

2. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    why would you install virtual pc if your motherboard supports it? all i did was install 7 ultimate . virtualization was already enabled in my bios. xp mode just simply works.

3. Urzack

Urzack MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2010
    I was just following the instructions on the MS xp mode page. Install xp mode; install virtual pc; install xp mode update. (Now I see that the third step has a footnote that it's only for machines without hardware virtualization. But it still seems to be saying that in any case you have to download both xp mode and virtual pc.)

4. Urzack

Urzack MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2010
    I'm confused as to how you did this. I uninstalled XP mode and Virtual PC. I then rebooted and activated the hardware virtualization along the way. I re-installed XP mode. But it's not like it showed up anywhere...until I reinstalled Virtual PC. (I didn't install the XP Mode update on the MS site, since it seems to be only for those without hardware virtualization. I mean, if you're not installing Virtual PC, how are you starting XP Mode? Where does it appear?

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    In Start/All Programs menu

sebus

6. Urzack

Urzack MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2010
    Now that Virtual PC is already installed, is there any compelling reason for me to uninstall it (beyond general preference for simplicity)? Memory hog? Likelier to screw up?

Or any compelling reason to leave it as it is? Will removing confuse anything? I mean, in a pinch, I could probably uninstall XP mode and Virtual PC, then start from scratch and reinstall XP mode and the one or two apps I've set up in about an hour.

Thanks in advance.

7. chris22

chris22 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    Same thing happened to me. Simply uninstall XP mode from the control panel then reinstall it. You will then have a functioning XP mode. Make sure that VT is enabled before you start.
    Chris
    EDIT: Don't uninstall anything else (virtual pc, the extra update, etc...)