accidently installed WGA for office 2007

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by tomchook, Oct 2, 2009.

1. tomchook

tomchook MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2008
    I'm using Windows 7 (RTM) with Office 2007. I saw there was an WGA update for office 2007, and stupidly enough, I download it (I think it was a "critical update" though).
    Now it tells me (obviously) that my copy didn't pass the WGA.
    How can I get rid of it?

Thanks!

2. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    To uninstall OGA

1. Goto C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\8998da55d52b36c0e98ba016ddd50de0\
    2. Extract OGANotifier.cab to some location e.g C:\
    3. Goto C:\ and right-click on OGANotifier.msi and click on Uninstall

This will completely remove the update from your computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tomchook

tomchook MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2008
    So far it seems to work! Thank you!

4. tomchook

tomchook MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2008
    Actually now Windows put it again as a critical update, which will be installed automatically. I can just untick it this time, but it will appear all the time. Is there any way to bypass it?

5. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    To hide the update:
    • Right-click on the Update and click Hide Update

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kellyF

kellyF MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2009
    Hi,

sorry to highjack tomchook's thread, but I posted in the other thread and no one replied so far. I did the same stupid thing as tomchook because the update was marked as 'critical'.
    I also wanted to remove the OGA update and simply did a system restore. The Update was just installed one day ago, in the evening and so I just rolled back to the morning of that day. Is that enough or should I even go back further?

I have Vista and in the list of installed updates KB949810 still appears as "installed successfully". The folder 8998da55d52b36c0e98ba016ddd50de0 with the Cabinet "OGANotifier" still exists on my machine. Is this how it should be even after a proper system restore to a date before the update?

I would appreciate any help or advice because Im stuck.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kelly

7. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    I don't know much about System Restore but i prefer uninstalling it rather than a rollback.

Follow the above steps and it will remove it completely and hide the update so that in future you don't install it again.