Acer aspire 5536g bios dead

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by drowsy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. drowsy

drowsy MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Hi guys,

I have an Acer Aspire 5536G, and like many Acer notebook users, after flashing the bios, it was supposed to have worked but my notebook never rebooted. Screen remains black, no sound no nothing.

I have tried every possible Crisis recovery disk, usb stick, usb floppy, dvd anything, I manage to make them bootable but the notebook reads the medium for a couple of minutes, then nothing, dead...pressed FN+ESC, FN+B / F or WIN+B .. NOTHING WORKED.

It does read the usb stick for a while but seems like its not doing its work, I have tried renaming the bios files that can be downloaded from ACER site (xxx.wph and xxx.rom) to BIOS.WPH so that the crisis disk can read it, but nothing worked.

Now I ended up opening my notebook and will flash or replace the bios chip. The only problem is that the flash programmer will only take .hex or .bin bios files...ACER only supply .wph or .rom. Can anyone help me find an ACER ASPIRE 5536G Bios.BIN ??? or BIOS.HEX ???

I'm completely out of hope by this time...please help me.

2. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Try changing the name from bios.rom to bios.bin. Your programmer should be able to load it. Give it a try, nothing to lose.
    Good luck

3. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
  4. drowsy

drowsy MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    I'll give it a try mate...just one other thing, the laptop reads from the USB Stick without the need of pushing anything! Even though I pressed all combinations possible, but it always ended up in reading the USB Stick anyway.

Maybe I don't need to push anything for my Notebook? Can it be? I tried disconnecting hard disk and booting with USB Stick, but always same results. Now that I opened up my notebook i'll try to do it again without the DVD Drive.

I also downloaded a package of PHLASH versions from somewhere else, some didn't work, other AGAIN read the stick for couple of minutes and dead again.

Really strange bloody notebook I got... :(

5. drowsy

drowsy MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    One last thing I forgot to mention! I also managed to have the power button BLINK, by disconnecting the battery and AC Adapter, pressing the Power button and while holding it down, plug the AC Adapter. After a while when the LED shows that there is the AC Adapter plugged in, I release the power button and press it once to power on the notebook. It powers up, but starts blinking along with the hard disk led.

Any thoughts? Tried putting USB Stick while in this mode but nothing happens. Doesn't even try to load from Stick.

6. drowsy

drowsy MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Thanks for the link SPKLEADER!!! My notebook is alive again!!! Risen from the dead !!!

I have pressed no buttons, just switched on the notebook with only the ac adapter and usb stick inside and it worked alone for about 10mins...restarted on its own and was alive again !!!

I tried again to flash the 1.08 with a bootable usb stick, but it died again on me. I was doing the command phlash16.exe bios.wph, it flashed the bios but upon restart it died over and over again, maybe I needed to used some special commands in between phlash16.exe and bios.wph?

Anyway, then I just restored the bios again with the crisis disk you provided me and put the 1.08 bios as the recovery bios and I did the upgrade anyway.

Let me know guys for future reference if I need to do some commands to flash the bios from dos to avoid future problems!

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    You're welcome! I'm glad you worked it out!
    About the commands... I really dunno. Usually just read the included txt file from the bios update archive.
    Still, weird how the update always crashed on you. What version of phlash16 you was using to update? And most specially, which version you used to recover your bad flash?
    The more detail you provide, the more you'll help other users.
    Like, notebook model, pendrive you used, version of phlash16 and so on.

;)

8. drowsy

drowsy MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Well the phlash16.exe version I don't really know, I used the one that is by default in the crisis package file you sent me. I don't know if thats the latest version. I assume that if the version of phlash16.exe included in the package downloaded from ACER didn't work, I may as well try to update bios with phlash16.exe that you sent me which WORKED when recovering the bios...monkey see monkey do :D

Funny thing is that ACER being so bloody stupid, know about the problem, they provide a crisis utility BUT THEY DON'T PROVIDE THE BLOODY CORRECT PHLASH16.exe !!

P.S. I also used a 256MBS pen drive....but not relevant, even a 4Gbs pen drive loaded the same like the 256Mbs.

9. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    lol @ drowsy

I guess you got it wrong :)
    I was the one that added lots of versions of phlash16... so one package would fit all notebooks.
    I've seen reports of phlash16 doesn't working on some models and then when the user used another version of phlash16, it worked. - That's why I added more versions ;)

So to everyone know to fix a Acer Aspire 5536G, you'll have to use phlash16 v1.6.9.5.

10. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    hi..
    i'm having similar problem here..

i have aspire 4520.
    suddenly dead..
    but i didn't do any flashing (that made it dead)
    the screen is black.
    power led is on.
    i can hear the fan's on n hdd led on for 2 seconds, but then it stop n the hdd led off.

i took it to service center, n they told me the vga's down.
    but. i'm not sure if they checked it throughly, coz i have had same situation before (bios corrupted), so i assume, somehow these laptop's bios is corrupted too..

i tried ur method.
    but only have usb stick here..
    still, can't boot it.

month ago (when i found it's dead), i tried inserting a vista's dvd, n i can see the dvd drive's led on, n i can hear it's moving.
    so, is there any way i try ur method with a dvd/cd?

thx.

11. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
  12. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    #12 bibia, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    i did..
    n still not working..

well, i'll read n try that tomorrow..
    i'm tired right now..

i'll give feedback tomorrow..

thx..

EDIT:
    can i do any bios recovery with a usb stick?

u didn't answer that..

btw, i already got that manual (can't wait to read it, just now..).

but thx anyway..

13. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Welp, drowsy did a recover from USB.
    Just use WINCRISIS then to create it. And good luck! :)

14. drowsy

drowsy MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    You can recover from a USB Stick, but I guess I was kinda lucky since I didn't need to press any keys for the notebook to go into recovery mode.

Other notebooks I saw that you need to press FN+ other keys so that might be your case. Other forums said you cannot boot and make it work from a USB Stick even though it tries to load you still need to load directly from a diskette. As I said, these are all comments from others, mine just worked from USB Stick straight away...LUCKY ME!

15. HaWKBRC

HaWKBRC MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    spkleader:

thanks a lot for the service manual! Very useful for me. Do you have others?

16. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    #16 bibia, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    i got that from google..

try like this: acer aspire 4520 disassembly

@drowsy
    well, i can't make it boot from usb stick.. :mad:
    i tried every suggest key to make it boot, read from this forum.
    maybe only a certain type can?
    or maybe some usb stick can do that?

OR, maybe the vga indeed dead..

damn..
    i only can afford a netbook for replacement..
    coz, the aspire 4520's mobo costs me around $240 here in indonesia, while i can buy a netbook from around $370.

17. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    HaWKBRC: wich model do you need?
    I might be able to get it. Also give google a try. There are lots of level 2 Service Manuals floating around. I have a few others that are level 3, but I only send such stuff when its really needed. I hope you understand.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #18 Yen, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Disablez

Disablez MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    spkleader, don't take it wrong but I love you :)
    Had tried 20 different phlashes to unbrick an Aspire 6530g and the default one of your pack did the trick. Thanks a zillion.

20. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Hehehe, no problem.
    Good to hear that Disablez!
    Glad to help.