Acer Aspire 5580 No longer booting after bios upgrade

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by macka601, Mar 25, 2011.

1. macka601

macka601 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi there,

hopefully someone could help me out. I did an upgrade to a Acer Aspire 5580. It went ok, but it didn't seem to fix the problem i was having which was a black screen, external monitor still worked, but no LCD.

Anyhow - i reflashed with another lot of bios i found, and now i officially think i have bricked the notebook.

I've been trying to use wincrisis to make a USB bootable drive to reflash. I used the Fn+Esc key combination, i don't see the power button turn orange? but it boots and the leds on the side flash, and the USB drive light comes on, but its obviously not reading it (cos it's not flashing).
    So i think whatever i've done i've overwritten the CRM mode?

Anyhow - i have come to the conclusion that i may need to pull off the bios, does anyhow know where it lies? I haven't looked carefully. I'm a hardware dude, so pulling this stuff off for me is easy. And then i'll reprogram it and replace it... well that's a plan i have... lol

Does anyone else know anything i could try?? I'm really open to ideas!!

Thanks
    Grant

2. vusky

vusky MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi, i've the same problem with Acer 5536g, and worked for me, try follow the same process explain in this thread :

h**p://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/11839-Acer-aspire-5536g-bios-dead?highlight=5536g

Download the crisys tools with all phlash for found the phlash compatible for your model.

For 5536g works make it in USB, i don't know for 5580, in some cases is possible need a floppy USB.

3. macka601

macka601 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi - thanks for that.

Will give it a go later, how do i tell which phlash to use?? or is just a case of try and see?

Thanks
    Gant

4. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Just try one by one, from latest version down

5. macka601

macka601 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi there,

So i went through all those Phlash's ... Still didn't seem to like it.

I power on the laptop with the FN+ESC key seq and it turns on the USB (i can see the blue power light), but then does no reading from the disk (no red activity light showing :(). From what i can tell on most sites about this recovery method, is that if i hold down that key combo, it flashes a power light? or does something else? mine doesn't do that either.

So i'm guessing that i've over-written the basic bootloader/crisis stage with crap, and now that rescue method is stuffed?

Looks like i'd probably have to find a new mother board, or try and up lift another bios chip from somewhere else.

Grant

6. marcusj0015

marcusj0015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2009
    your bios is AMI right?

click Control + Home as fast as you can until the screen comes up, have the OFFICIAL BIOS for your computer on an SD card, named AMIBOOT.ROM (copy and paste, the capitilazation is very important)

and restore the bios, it will take like 15-20 minutes, depending on how damaged your bios are, and NEVER EVER OVERWRITE THE BOOTBLOCK!

without the bootblock, your computer is eternally f**ked, that's how AMI load the AMIBOOT.ROM file, and restore your computer

don't listen to any other sites, what i just wrote, is how I PERSONALLY fixed my computer, no theoretical theories, real world facts

7. suramix

suramix MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    Acer Aspire 5580 should have a Phoenix BIOS. Download the latest BIOS, ZR1_3508.wph from Acer website. Have ready a USB storage drive up to 2Gb. Format the USB storage disk using the Fast Format option. Copy in the root directory of USB media ZR1_3508.wph and WinPhlash.exe, nothing else. rename ZR1_3508.wph to 3508.wph. Plug USB storage into USB port. Press Fn + ESC button then plug in AC power. The Power button flashes once. Press Power button to initiate system CRISIS mode. When CRISIS is complete, the system auto restarts with a workable BIOS.