Acer Aspire 5610 shuts down during Windows 7 boot OR installation

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by johnye_pt, Sep 22, 2013.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Hi.

My brother's Acer Aspire 5610 started to shutdown during Windows 7 boot. Immediately I thought it was a software problem so I inserted the Windows 7 DVD to reinstall it. Low and behold, it shutdown during the "Starting Windows" message... I tried booting a MicroXP image on disk that boots from memory, but that also shuts down as well, although it previously worked fine. I tried re-flashing the BIOS with either the original v3.60 or the SLIC modded BIOS but the problem persists. I also tried installing XP (original OS on the Acer) and it too shuts down during install, unless I use F6 to disable ACPI, then it does install but then I can't install the wireless mini-pci card and a few other hardware functions. I removed DVD, modem and battery, replaced memory, cpu and hdd, but the problem still persists.

Can I assume it's the motherboard that's faulty? It's an old computer and I doubt I can find a replacement motherboard for it...

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    bad fan ? sounds like overheat issue

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    after the replacements you mentioned, I would think only thing left to check would be the power supply. Maybe the cord itself (converts ac to dc) or on the motherboard where it connects, cap or diode failing. If you can find another cord to eliminate that as being an issue, then probably something on the Motherboard itself.

4. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    It booted fine with XP installed using the F6 key which disables ACPI if I'm not mistaken, so it's not a overheating problem.

Nice call! I tried with my original ACER charger and it installed Windows 7 with no problems whatsoever! I guess I just assumed his universal charger was working fine, it's a Growing ULC009BLK AutoSwitch 90w, it's also working fine with my Halfmman LS-PAB90-BC10 AutoSwitch 90w. I just reseated his HDD and Windows 7 is working fine. His charger is still in warranty so he will trade it for a new one ;)