Acer Aspire black scrren on power up

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by roypaun, May 7, 2011.

1. roypaun

roypaun MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    I have a Acer Aspire 5735Z that, when the power button is pressed, the power light stays on for a short time, then powers off. While the power light is on there is a black screen, nothing is displayed at all. The fan will start up and then stop. I have checked the hard disk with another computer and it is empty!!! I am assuming it is a problem with the BIOS. I have tried various options using ESC + Fn with a USB drive, but so far have been unsuccessful. The BIOS file for this drive is CPK10.WPH (I think). The OS should be Vista. The laptop has no floppy disk of course, so I can only use a USB. Any help would be appreciated, to say the least!!!

2. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hi M8
    Usually when a laptop starts up and then shuts down very quickly it is a power issue. Remove the battery and see if it will boot off mains power.
    If it does`nt even try to start ie. no lights etc, then suspect the charger or DC jack in the laptop. The fact that it turns on and off could just be
    the last remnents of charge in the battery.

Hope this helps

bAiLz

3. roypaun

roypaun MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    Nothing with the F2 key. I will use another computer to load Vista on to the HDD and then try the ESC + Fn with the crisis recovery program. Definitely not a power problem as when I do use the ESC + Fn keys it does stay on and tries to access the USB drive. Do you have to have the OS on the HDD before you can restore the BIOS? (IF it is a BIOS problem). Thanks for your help, MUCH appreciated.

4. roypaun

roypaun MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    HDD DOES have the OS on it (my fault!!!!). I am not sure if it is a motherboard problem as the power will stay on when I hit the ESC and Fn keys together when powering on. From reearch on Google a blac screen would seem to be a typical sympton of a faulty BIOS. Guess I will have to persevere with the crisis recovery option and hope I can manage to get a BIOS screen eventually. Anyway, once again, thanks for all your help and advice.