Acer Aspire Blank LCD - need help

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ckenneynh, May 7, 2011.

1. ckenneynh

ckenneynh MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    #1 ckenneynh, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
    Hi all,
    Looking for help with an Acer Aspire 4810tz laptop. It does not detect the LCD correctly on boot. Sets the mode to 1024 x 768 x 49Hz, which does not work. Should be 1366 x 768 x 60Hz.
    Laptop works fine, when connected via HDMI or VGA to an external monitor or TV.

What I've done so far:
    Replaced LCD the last time this happened, which didn't help. Then it suddenly started working, both with the new LCD and the original LCD. Worked for 2 months, now the problem is back. System is 18 months old and out of warranty.
    There is no Post / BIOS display, so it's not software. Even so, I installed a new hard drive and restored factory OS install of Win 7. No change.
    My research so far reveals that something called an EDID should be detected by the Video BIOS and set the video correctly.
    It would seem this is not happening. LCD does light and display shows lines and bands which change. Looks just like last time, before it fixed itself, so I believe the LCD itself is OK.

The Display Setup window (Intel) does not allow me to set the LCD to anything other than 1024x768x49, and shows the LCD as "Generic PnP monitor".
    I can select various other settings for the external monitor which works fine.
    There are entries in the Registry for the original LG LCD, the replacement Cei Mei (I think) LCD, external Sony CRT and Samsung TV. It's just stopped detecting the LCD, and is using a generic and incorrect "MS_0003" selection.

What exactly happens when this EDID is detected? Is this most likely the system board (onboard video), the cable, or the LCD itself? Oh, I also updated the BIOS from 1.30 to 1.35, no change.

Any suggestion? I've searched the web, and found others with this same problem, looking for help, but no solutions.

Also, how the heck do you seperate the top and bottom half of this case? There seem to be components attached to the base, as well as under the keyboard, and I can't figure out how to get it apart without damage.

Thanks,
    Chris in NH

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Sounds to me you need to call Acer. If that's not what you want to do, I'd suggest a total rebuild of your system since you've already tried the OEM restore disk approach to no avail. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just backup, backup, backup your data before doing anything. You can always use your OEM restore disk to get back to the factory installation.

If you do decide to rebuilt, use links supplied by this forum to get the installation .iso file. I have, on several machines, used the MS key code to activate after a wipe and reinstall. You'll need to use a program such as KeyFinder to be absolutely certain you extract the proper key from your system. Of course you'll need the drivers which can be downloaded from the Acer support site. Or you can use Double Driver to capture your drivers; I prefer to download.

If you wish, this forum can also supply you with a loader (I prefer Daz's) to activate your install and forego the use of a MS supplied key code.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ckenneynh

ckenneynh MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    Blank LCD update

Thanks for the replies!
    I had already updated drivers as well as a clean install of Win 7 on a new hard drive.
    But the fact that I got no BIOS splash screen / Post message had me convinced that this was hardware.
    Since I had tried a new LCD already, I found a source on Ebay for a new video wire harness ($29.99). It worked!
    What a pain in the neck to change though. I was not able to completely separate the 2 halves of the base, as some internal components remained attached to each half and to each other.
    Somehow I managed to get at the internal video connector, and changed the harness to the LCD, mic, and camera.
    Now, with all my poking and prodding, the touch pad has stopped working.
    But, we have a wireless mouse, so it's going back to my sister as is, before I break something else.
    She can use it fine with the mouse.
    If anyone finds instructions on how to take an Aspire 4810tz apart, let me know.
    If I could separate the keyboard from the bezel that might help, but I can't figure that out either.

Thanks,
    Chris

5. SAMURAi

SAMURAi MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2010
    Dude i had same problem i just called acer and they replaced with brand new lcd......... just call customer care and give your address help will fly to your house but takes at least 7 to 10 days i got replaced in 19 days......

6. ckenneynh

ckenneynh MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    Well, final update.
    This laptop is out of warranty, so Acer service not an option.

Anyway, the good news!
    I took one last shot at the touchpad, which I knew I must have dislodged a plug.
    Sure enough, tiny little latch on tiny little white cable connector was not latched.
    Pushed the latch gently down, put all the screws back in place.
    All is well, everything works! Persistance pays off. And be very gentle and careful.

All's well that ends well, and some day I'll learn how to take one of these all the way apart.
    Maybe I'll find a dead laptop and just tear into it. Someone should offer a class on laptop disassembly!

Be well,
    Chris