Acer Aspire D257-13404 - BIOS Recover

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by cumberlandbm, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cumberlandbm

cumberlandbm MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2013
    My laptop turns on, but ends with the black screen of death. It used to recognize the power cord, but now for whatever reason it does not. I do have a D255 laptop that I've been using to charge the battery.

Anyhow, I've gotten a copy of the BIOS version 104 for the laptop in the ROM (.bin) format. I've tried using wincris.exe to create the bios and I've also tried following what it says in the manual which is rename the .bin file to "BIOS HM40X64.bin". Each results in the same manner. I hold FN + Esc, computer turns on with blinking blue light, USB stick light flashes on like its about to read it, then goes away after about 1 second. The laptop then stays in that state forever, no restart, no shutdown.

Makes me think that I'm close since the USB stick lights up initially, but I'm misnaming something or not doing something correctly. Any help would be great.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    ZE6.fd or .bin might work.. but i heard these had an issue with bootblock recovery. so u might need USB SPI Programmer liek En25T80 or EZP2010

3. cumberlandbm

cumberlandbm MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2013
    I tried ZE6.fd and ZE6.bin and neither worked. So if I went the route of purchasing a USB SPI Programmer, I would desolder the bios chip, place it in there, reprogram it, and the solder it back? Would either of these models work for an HP Elitebook 2540p, too? That laptop has had issues with a bios password on it. It would be an interesting route to take if it can fix both laptops.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. DamLeg

DamLeg MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2013
    Hi! I have exactly the same problem....did you succeed?