Acer Aspire Freezing @ different times and/or not loading at all

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by stevefromwi, Jul 8, 2010.

1. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    I have an Acer Aspire 5610. Lately it's been constantly freezing, as in, the whole system freezes and does nothing. I could be watching a movie and the picture, sound, mouse anything stops. I have to force shut it down. More times than none, though, the laptop will not enter POST or show anything on the lcd like it wasnt even turned on. The power on light comes on and i can hear the fan kick in for about 5 seconds then it slows way down.

I have read through a few other threads and seen some things to try. I have downloaded the bios from Acer onto my usb stick and have tried to flash my bios when the laptop does turn on, but when it finally loads up what it has to, it freezes :( . I have also removed one ram and vise versa, the hard drive, battery but to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I'm not all that advanced as some of you others out there so when replying make sure you remember that you're talking to a 12 year old in a 28 year old body......

Thanks again

Steve

2. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Could you get into windows to install CPUID's HWMonitor?

If so what are your temps?

Also are you running XP, Vista, 7?
    Can you provide more info on the laptop, hardware wise such as CPU, GPU and amount of RAM installed.

3. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    Acer Aspire 5610, Vista Home Premium, Intel Core Duo T2450 (2.0GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache), 2 GB DDR2.

Unfortunatly, IF and WHEN it does load completely, the whole system will freeze and there is nothing that can be done except to shut it down by unplugging it or holding down the power button.

4. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Sounds like overheating.
    I currently am working on an Acer Aspire 5535 that overheats so fast it wont make it to the desktop, that's with new Arctic silver 5 thermal paste, the laptops fan and vents all cleared out as well as a 12inch desktop fan blowing on the CPU/heatsink. It overheats in less than 60 seconds, apparently a common issue for that exact model.

If not then corrupted Hard drive or operating system.

If you can, boot into safe mode.

At start menu search "command"
    select command prompt
    a black window should appear[/QUOTE]
    enter into the black window: chkdsk c: /r
    hit enter and chkdsk should run.

5. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    I'm unable to do anything. When I push the power button, the power light comes on, fan's run...then after 5 or so seconds fan's slow way down and nothing is on screen still. The few times it has come on it has given me the option to run a disk scan along with starting in safe mode and etc. I ran the scan and even during the scan the whole system would freeze. Otherwise when it would run the whole scan it showed that there was nothing wrong.:mad:

I'm beginning to think this laptop would be good for disk golf....:eek:

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    enter into the black window: chkdsk c: /r
    hit enter and chkdsk should run.[/QUOTE]

WOW:eek: how can it overheat when you were cooling it like that??

And yes this indeed sounds like overheating.
    DON'T TRY TO FLASH THE BIOS ANYMORE!! If it locks up during the flash than you're in troubles.
    I'd try to get it as cold as possible (maybe an icepack can help) and boot into windows. Then start a temp measure tool, remove the icepack and wait 'n see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Extremely poor cooling on the laptop.
    I am guessing the ATI 3200 in it is the prime culprit too. Do not see a sufficient heatsink on it.
    CPU one looks fine although gets hot pretty quick, even with the above methods. If I had another lower end CPU that would fit the socket I would try it tbh to rule CPU out.

Pity, I have to tell this wee lass she cant use her laptop anymore >.<

8. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    I did think that it may be an overheating issue, but would that really make it so it wouldn't even come to the post screen? I attempted to place my laptop on top of a window fan pointed up so it would draw cool air into it, but that didn't make a difference. It doesn't even pop up any screen. From time to time it will get to my desktop and I can do something for about one minute then it completely freezes. Since a few days ago I've been trying to turn it on and I don't get anything except for the power button light and the fans. My CD rom drive doesn't work either as the optical is out on it from what I was told...

9. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Acers have bad CD drives anyway dude.

I am guessing you don't even get beep codes at startup?
    If you tried now, and hadn't for a few hours, would you get a full boot to desktop?

10. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    I've been told about the cd drives as well. It sucks.

I try the laptop maybe once a day or so and nothing goes. No beeps, nothing. It used to be where maybe every 10th time or so it would load to desktop but then it would freeze n lock up...

11. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Almost positive you have CORRUPT VIDEO Drivers .... I have just finished fixing 3 Acers with Intel Graphics, and all the Drivers were CORRUPT. once I replaced the DRIVERS .
    FREEZE Crashes have stopped...

12. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    If that's the case, how do I get in there to update them if Window's doesn't load at all?

13. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    How long have you had the laptop btw?

14. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    I've had it for about 2 years..I bought it from a friend who had it for about 5 months prior to that

15. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Aww dammit, I was going to suggest RMA.

Actually check out the Acer website and see if there is a recall on that model, I read somewhere there was but I cannot remember the models they listed or where I found this information.

16. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    Just checked. Recal is for other models, go figure..

17. ablacon64

ablacon64 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    Hi, I'm from Brazil and new to this forum. I'm an electronic technician specialized on notebook repair. If you're not comfortable with the procedures I'm going to tell you, please, don't do it, instead take you notebook to a technician, so you won't damage your hardware. You can damage your motherboard only by touching it where you shouldn't. Done with the warnings, let's go... Please, if your notebook is out of warranty, remove the thermal door (the biggest one at the back of the notebook with 6 or 7 screws, depending on the version), remove the system fan (2 screws), remove the copper thermal module (4 screws), and remove all dirt between them (you'll see that will be a lot). Clean all the old thermal paste on the CPU and apply new thermal paste (just a little, a very thin layer). Reassemble all parts and test. The problem may be solved. If this procedure does no solve the problem, take your notebook to a specialized repair center, explain the problem e let them know you already tried cleaning and replacing the thermal paste. They will probably reball (replace the solder balls) your north bridge. This will definitely fix it. Good luck.

18. stevefromwi

stevefromwi MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2010
    Well, I had gave my laptop to a computer tech and he came back with some awesome news. Turns out it's the Onboard Graphic's Card. So obviously my options are to get a new motherboard or just keep it for parts for a different laptop. Thank you Acer for building such a reliable and easy to fix laptop! Thanks for all the options and suggestions.

19. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Sorry to hear dude but at least you have found the problem and possible method of fixing it or using as spares.

I know what you mean though, Acer for the most part suck, they have produced some good models but they are few and far between.
    Wee lass was upset when I told her the story about hers but I am at least able to get her data off it.

20. ablacon64

ablacon64 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    There's a fix to your problem, the reballing I told you in my previous post. It's not difficult and your motherboard is not lost at all. Search for electronic computer repair in your region. Do not send your laptop to a computer tech (those guys are very good on Windows setup but awful in soldering), you need an electronic expert.