Acer Aspire One 522 - BIOS v1.09 SLIC 2.1 mod & recovery file creation [NEWBIE]

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by patdman, Jun 4, 2011.

1. patdman

patdman MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi all,

I was just today pointed to this forum as a good place for help with BIOS mods.
    I just purchased an Acer Aspire One 522 and want to mod the BIOS to have the correct SLIC 2.1 code so I can activate Win 7 Home Pro.
    Using the Phoenix SLIC BIOS Mod tool for Insyde BIOS (amongst others) I have loaded the latest Acer BIOS (v1.09) and also located the Acer 2.1 SLIC file & certificate.
    I also produced the RW file and just by following my nose, I have created what I hope is a correct SLIC 2.1 mod for this BIOS.

Before I go ahead with the flash, however, I want to make sure I have the recovery BIOS file available.
    This is where I am getting confused.
    When I load the Acer BIOS file, I get a message saying "Recovery file is called BIOS.FD" but I cannot find this file anywhere.
    After searching this forum, I found that the file seems to be embedded in one of the ROM dumps from the BIOS tool and have located what I believe to be the correct ROM File.
    What I do not understand is, how I can create the appropriate FD file from this, espically as my BIOS file is a .BIN (P0VE6109.BIN)
    If someone could please explain what I need to do for this, it would be most appreciated.
    I have read as much as possible on these forums to find my answers, and while there seem to be posts dealing with this specific issue, I don't really understand the gist of it and need a little pointing in the right direction.

Once I get this BIOS modded (hopefully already done) and tested properly, I will upload it here for anyone else who may need it.

Any help is most appreciated in advance.

Cheers,

Pat.

2. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    #2 TTAV134, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    if your bios file name is P0VE6109.BIN, just rename it BIOS.FD for recovery.

note: to fully insert SLIC 2.1 table in this bios, choose dynamic option, and you must absolutely tick "replace empty modules" in advanced options of andyp tool.
    RW file is useless.

platform.ini must be modify as follow:

[ForceFlash]
    ALL=1

[Bios_Version_Check]
    flag=0

good luck

no need to upload the bios

3. patdman

patdman MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for the info, I did consider all I needed to do was rename the original file to BIOS.FD for recovery, but wanted to make sure.
    I'll recreate the modded BIOS with SLIC 2.1 using the info you posted above and give it a shot.

Cheers,

Pat.

4. patdman

patdman MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    I will check that out and see how I go, perhaps I'll be lucky :)
    If not, I can't find out where the platform.ini file is, do I create it myself and put it in the same directory as the bios mod tool?
    I did some searching on the forum but could only find reference to what should be changed in it, nothing about where the file is located or how it's created.

Thanks again,

Pat

5. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    #6 TTAV134, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    by extracting P0VE6109.exe content. (look in %temp% folder)

6. patdman

patdman MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    Well, it looks like the BIOS is already SLIC 2.1, so I guess that all I need to do here is to activate manually using the appropriate certificate & OEM key.

Pat.

7. patdman

patdman MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2011
    Heh, well after 2 days of reading about BIOS mods, it turns out it wasn't necessary and I just needed to install the correct certificate and use the appropriate key.
    Thankyou very much for your help, I'm almost dissapointed I didn't get to mod my BIOS as I've been tentatively getting into firmware mods for my router, and figured also learning some BIOS mod stuff would be fun.

Cheers,

Pat.

8. AAnacreon

AAnacreon MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2011
    #10 AAnacreon, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    Could you be so kind to post a copy of your modified bios (slic 2.1)? I recently buy an Aspire One 522 and its bios hasn't got slic 2.1. Thank you!