Acer Aspire One D257 Not Pre-Activating using OEM SLP Win 7 (asks for Product Key)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by weetbix, Mar 12, 2012.

1. weetbix

weetbix MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2012
    Hi everyone, I'm new so can't post links - I've included links but you'll have to manually open them sorry.

I followed through this guide to make a "Multi-brand" DVD to use with an Acer Aspire One D257 which came with Win 7 Starter pre-loaded, with the intention of putting on Windows Ultimate or Home Premium:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/15733-Windows-7-DVD-(Multi-Brand-Multi-Edition)-Activation

However when I install it onto the Acer, it asks for a Product Key.

I referred to this thread:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/10370-Windows-7-OEM-SLP-Key-Collection

and entered the "Acer" product key for Windows Ultimate, but it was not accepted when it tried to activate online. When I looked at the OEM Sources thread:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/12785-7-Oem-Sources-Folder-Project

I noted that the Acer only had a file for Home Premium, so I reinstalled choosing Home Premium instead of Ultimate.

However that also lead to the same problem and it wouldn't accept the Home Premium Product Key from the above page of SLP Key Collections!

I went back to try and confirm that I have SLIC 2.1 - these are the screen dumps:

Image link: iforce.co.nz/i/iyskgqtt.nxd.jpg

Image link: iforce.co.nz/i/nm11thgt.41o.jpg

It seems that I do have SLIC 2.1? What's going wrong?

I previoius did the same thing on an HP and it pre-activated and never even asked for a Product Key to be entered??

Any help much appreciated thanks!

2. weetbix

weetbix MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2012
    Ok so I decided to use this "Loader" program to see what it would do:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/24901-Windows-Loader-Current-release-information

When I read about that it appeared that I could use this: "It will install just the certificate and serial for users with an existing SLIC 2.1"

It did install and Windows is now activated.

However when I did this with an HP machine with SLIC 2.1 previously, why did it automatically pre-activate and it never asked for me for a Product Key at any stage? I'm confused because Windows wouldn't accept the Product Key I found in the Win 7 OEM SLP Key Collection, but it appears that's the same key that Loader used?

I'm afraid that the activation might be lost somehow - am I doing something wrong? I am just confused why it wouldn't do it automatically without using Loader when I was able to do this with an HP machine without loader before. The Acer did come with Win 7 Starter from factory. Thanks.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Activations can be "lost" but if that happens you just do again what you did to make it work the first time. But I wouldn't worry about it until it happens if it happens at all. Just make notes of what you did, keep copies of any files you used and be happy.