Acer Aspire v5-471g can't detect windows 8.1 bootable USB

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by linkincyde, Dec 18, 2014.

1. linkincyde

linkincyde MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    So I created 2 bootable USB, First USB, bootable using MBR Windows 8.1, second bootable using GPT Windows 8.1. Both are created using Rufus software.I already set the boot order to 1) USB HDD 2) USB FDD etc. I set UEFI and secured. Both bootable USB's dont work. So i set it to "Legacy and not secured", the first USB works but can't continue to Setup Page. Windows 8.1 logo displays, but after few seconds, it will go to blank sreen. I tried to wait for 30mins, still stuck to blank screen. I also tried to insert the USB to different USB ports, 1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, still no luck. What should I do? hope someone can help me? thank you! Btw im using murphy78 windows 8.1 ISO.

2. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    #2 SpeedDream, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    try with an official ms ISO, format pendrive as FAT32
    copy everything in it

right click corner command prompt admin, type diskpart

then enter list disk, you'll see the drives

type select drive x where x is your pen drive's drive

type select partition 1

type active, then type exit twice,

open diskmgmt.msc from run, make sure when you open disk management it says active

try again and good luck!

3. linkincyde

linkincyde MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    thanks! btw where can i download an official windows 8 iso?

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First I suggest to update the BIOS to the latest version if you haven't done that yet! I was need to do that on several Acer V-xxxx Models already for to use Windows 8.x!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. linkincyde

linkincyde MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    @pisthai: i cant update bios, it doesn't load the OS. I've made a mistake. It has pre-installed windows 8, my friend who owns that laptop told me that it was too slow. So what I did is that I click ""remove everything and reinstall windows". It takes almost 10hrs and its still in 30%. So i reset the laptop. upon reset, it shows "no perating system found". so i think the OS is corrupted. I reformatted the laptop using USB with windows 8.1 from murphy78, but it only shows only blank screen. Ive set boot priority etc. until now, still no luck...

@darodar: is this the official ISO? i've tried murphy78 windows 8.1 with updates, its not working. i'll try this. thank you!

6. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013

Attached Files:

7. linkincyde

linkincyde MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    @darkodar: thank you so much. Im downloading it right now, 60%. I'll tell you if it works. Thank you so much! :)

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, I'm a bit late, just were outside by customer the whole day!

If you do such services, even if it's 'just' for friends, you should have an Windows PE based on Win7 or XP on an USB Stick or DVD for to boot from and doing the needed action, in this case an BIOS update! Personally I've an Windows to Go USB HDD with all tools installed I need for my work. Since Windows Vista it's the most easy way to do such work!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. olivercervera

olivercervera MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    I had the same issue with an Aspire V5-122p.
    The thing I didn't know is that if Secure Boot is enabled you can only boot FAT32 drives. This is a huge limitation, my custom ISO of Windows 8.1 does not fit the 4gb file limit of FAT32.
    However, if you use Rufus to build your bootable USB, select
    - GPT and UEFI,
    - FAT32 as file system

It will boot :)

10. linkincyde

linkincyde MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    @oliver: I've already done that but I havent use the original windows ISO by darkodar. I will try that. Thank you. :)

11. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Yes, when you stopped it, you sort of screwed it up. so DL the manual and read the HOW TO RESET to Factory via Acer HOTKEYS.
    it should not take more then 1 hour avg... the longest any Acer with 4GB Ram has taken is 1h 21min....
    and many Older Acers are not Windows 8.1 compatible...

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally, in Acer laptops to enable the boot for Recovery, you've to go into BIOS and change the setting for to use the Recovery Partition, which is disabled by default and need to be enabled. Mainly Acer is using than the F10 Key while starting the Laptop for to access the Recovery Partition and start Recovery.

The machine of the OP isn't that old for to be in-compatible to Windows 8.1! As the BIOS is an original Acer BIOS with embedded 8.0 OEM Key, that Key will be a loss in case of updating the BIOS, if that even would be possible! The best way to around with that and keep the original BIOS, is to use an 3.party apps and save the original BIOS to an external storage (USB etc.) for to have it on hand if anything goes wrong! Maybe it's possible to modify such BIOS, I never tried that and don't know it could be done.

13. linkincyde

linkincyde MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    I was able to format the laptop. I replaced the hard drive with my spare hdd. The hdd that was installed in laptop is defective. Thank you so much to all who helped me. :smileyhappy: