Acer Ferrari 3400 HDD limit removal to 128 GB

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ripan, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ripan

ripan MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    #1 ripan, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
  3. ripan

ripan MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks Mutagen for taking time. The SSD with a IDE intfc is a Transcend brand.
    Yes (Maybe I sounded too much of a rookie), there is OS on the 128 GB disk. I just cloned the original one using Paragon disk mgmt sw.
    Your supplied link is a bit above my head though. Too much inbetween the lines so to say.

Cheers

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    When you say it can't boot, what do you see? (A black screen with a flashing underscore, or a message)

I have used Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 with great results. Is it possible you missed an option when cloning? One other suggestion: I assume the original drive is smaller than the new one. There are two approaches here for cloning -

1 - Make an exact clone, keeping all partitions the same size. This means using Windows disk manager after cloning to make the extra space available.

2 - Resize the partitions when configuring the cloning options.

For me, I use the first method. It has always worked, even though another step is needed. I don't achieve reliable results with the second approach.

5. ripan

ripan MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    When it canĀ“t boot the screen is black with a flashing underscore. Nothing more happens until I "kill" it.

I used the 2nd method and I will try the first one during the weekend and report back the result.

6. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #6 RJARRRPCGP, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Blinking cursor->corrupted boot data. Wipe the drive and try again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ripan

ripan MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    Problem solved

Great advice Mutagen, works like a charm after exact cloning making the excess drive space available as a separate partition.

Much faster windows and application start :cheers: