acer pqservice experiences to share

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by levonisyas, Nov 9, 2008.

1. levonisyas

levonisyas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2008
    #1 levonisyas, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. levonisyas

levonisyas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2008
    how to extract and work with *.wsi and *.dsi files

Acers imaging software files,
    D5E0A572.000 -> D5E0A572.135 (all 51 megs.. 6.62 gigs total)
    D5E0A572.wsi (1kb,)
    D5E0A5720000.dsi (1.68 megs)

i found out what program that uses by making it run, but not have the files available.. it was calling "RyTools\DecompressEngineWasay.exe /i Z:\Images\D5E0A572.WSI /td 0 /tp 2 /pt 0 /l 1033 /p AIM1R8"
    so i googled "Wasay" and Wasay is the company for ImageIt...
    I also found the files "Iitt.exe" and "wsvd.sys"..
    Iitt.exe is a small test gui for image it.
    wsvd.sys is the service driver.. dunno what for.. but it needed it.

pqservice\rytools\..u will find iitt.exe and run it (double click),
    browse.. pqservice\d2d\images\ .... select/open *.dsi file
    password... AIM1R8
    enter letter for Virtual Drive and than click mount
    click Load Image,
    select the file at the status points window
    last click Put Into VD,
    That is ok, enjoy with your new drive:rolleyes:

3. pr0bie

pr0bie MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2008
    Just out of interest,for those who stumble across this thread who are trying to use "pqservice" without the ALT+F10 at boot function ( which is probably beacause of other partitions of the drive being formatted removing the mbr which allowed the ALT+F10 function to work)

After the above instructions do the following:
    Open Start Menu
    Right click on computer
    Click Manage
    Click disk management (under storage)
    Set your pqservice as the active partition,or other recovery partition as the active partition( right click the partition click mark as active)
    then reboot
    the recovery partition will then start after POST and you will be able to put your computer back to Factory settings.
    when factory restore is complete PQSERVICE will be hidden again

4. Xproject187

Xproject187 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2008
  5. sliiin

sliiin MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2009
    Dear levonisyas,

I really, really want to thank you for your post, I've been searching like mad for a solution for that Acer Empowerment Technology password and never gotten any real solution. I even tried that ubuntu thing but it was too complicated for a non-ubuntu user. This was easy as 1-2-3 and within 5 minutes I have that much-sought-after password.

A million thanks to you, this is absolutely genius.

:)

6. begzy

begzy MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2009
    I have Acer Aspire 3000, with XP Home..
    I lost my recovery cd, so i installed XP Proffesional...

Normally, i couldn't use ALT + F10, so i used PTEDIT32 and now i can see PQService partition..

After setting the PQService as a active, and reebooted, i got the message
    "Type the name of the command interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)"

Please help, i dont know what to do..

Edit: I am sorry for posting on this thread (for Vista), but if anybody can help, this is the place....

7. dufy

dufy MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2009
    Dear levonisyas

Must thank you for this! I to have been spending fruitless hours searching for a way to see this hidden partition. Such a simple (when you know how) solution.

8. murb42

murb42 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2009
    Thanks for this tutorial. There was an similiar description in German, but it was older and the guy who wrote it did not answer. So i am asking here: iitt.exe does not mount an virtual device at my Laptop, do you have any idea why this did not work? I'm going mad at this :(

9. jlct021

jlct021 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Acer Aspire 4315 PQservice /mbrwrwin.exe + rtmbr.bin / HELP

Acer Aspire 4315 / Windows Vista Home Basic

Attempting Factory Restore via Hidden PQservice Partition

Hard drive (C:) prev formatted and Vista Reinstalled (somehow) but now corrupt due to Viruses / Addware / Spyware

PQservice Partition still present and in tact.

Have exhausted every suggestion offered on every forum / google search I have been able to find to no avail.

Namley:

(1) Disable D2D in bios / Unhide recovery partition / copy mbrwrwin.exe + rtmbr.bin to Route DIR / mbrwrwin install rtmbr.bin / re enable D2D in bios / reboot / Alt F10

Result = File:\windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because
    the application is missing and corrupt

(2) Unhide partition / Mark as active / reboot

Result = Nothing or same as above.

As an experiment I aslo made a clone of the PQservice Partition using Norton Ghost / Copied to another partition on another hard drive / Restored image / rebooted (on a separate machine) and got same result as above.

Viruses / Spyware problems have now been resolved and machine is in working state, reasons for wanting to continue now personal interest.

Please Advise / Extremely frustrated / thanks in advance.

10. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #10 FreeStyler, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    Use fat32 filesystem, i could not get iitt.exe to work on NTFS either so that might be the problem , and btw only x86 is supported

11. najamesk1

najamesk1 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    #11 najamesk1, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello all

Ive seen only a few threads with this info, some threads repeating info on other threads, and Google search for the files is thus far a fail.

I ask here, since it seams like a few people have figured it out.

heres what I need help with, I recently purchased an Acer 6930. No restore CDs came with the laptop, and because the built in software to create the restore CDs locked up while closing the CD sessions, i had to resort and pay Acer $20 for the DVDs, however, with that i was able to see that they were not what i expected. I have a bunch of image files that total to about 11Gbs of data.

i was able to locate the original factory stuff on my laptop, its at a location like:
    "C:\Acer\Preload\Acer\Recovery\HPartition\D2D\Images\"
    the files inside are like this:
    Code:
    POP0102G09E01C21.000 - .216
    POP0102G09E01C21.WSI
    POP0102G09E01C210000.DSI
    RCD.DAT

Those 217 files come to just short of 11GB. the WSI, DSI and DAT file are small.

Now, what i want to do, is avoid paying Microsoft $200 for a retail copy of Vista. Since i have an OEM licence with me, i would REALLY love to install a clean copy of Vista (minus all that bloatware)

So, what i want to do, is find a way (if possible) extract from the restore CDs, or from the recovery partition the Vista install files. and hopefully be able to create an ISO i can burn with, or something of the like.

So, to those who have figured out how to extract the crap from files like i listed above, ... How?

to add, Ive read on other forums that there is a file called "IITT.exe" that is a Gui for the ImageIT software that apparently was used to create those image files. however, with much Google searching, i cannot fine that file, and the file does not appear to be anywhere on this machine, or the recovery dvds acer sent me. I also found a decompression executable that appears to be able to handle the job, however, i cannot find any command switches to use to direct the program. that file is called "DECOMPRESSFM.exe"

So, can anybody help me out here? or direct me to a place that can?

i just want to be able to extract those files, so i can manually restore my laptop without the bloatware.

Thanks.

12. najamesk1

najamesk1 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    After much diging around on MDL, and learning alot about Vista, and all that, I finally found trough the use of other tools the IITT.exe file and its requirments I think i can get those image files expanded now.

the files were all tucked away in a hidden .wim file.... i used Gimagex to mount it and boom, there it was, plain as day.

I will update later if this is successful so other Acer users (or any other OEM that uses these same tools) with my findings, and hopefully be able to provide a bit more detail for n00bs.

13. najamesk1

najamesk1 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009

for the most part, I used these steps. I have a couple more steps to add that will make is much easier to do this without having to actually break out and spend hours searching google.

'iitt.exe' was found in:
    "C:\Acer\Preload\Acer\Recovery\HPartition\Sources\Boot.WIM"
    I used GImageX to mount the Boot.wim to a folder, and in that folder:
    "\RYTOOLS\IITT.EXE"

14. tone

tone MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    #14 tone, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    Thanks for the update najamesk1. I'll be giving this a go in a minute, but I'm sure that I don't have the same path as you described.

EDIT: The only boot.wim file I have is in: PQSERVICE\d2d\sources\

When trying to mount the WIM using gimagex it states "unable to mount image, the system cannot find the specified file"

I'm not sure what else I can do..

15. tone

tone MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    OK. I've managed to extract the boot.wim (using 7zip) to a folder as I couldn't get imagex to function correctly. I don't have the iitt.exe file anywhere in the extracted folder.

16. najamesk1

najamesk1 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009

I had trouble with it to, i had to apply it to another folder off the root C drive, and then mount it there. I had to reboot once for it to work the second time.

17. najamesk1

najamesk1 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009

when i extracted the files, there was an RYTOOLS folder in the directory. it was in there. ( i don't have my laptop with me at this moment) but i don't recall if the folder was hidden or not.

18. tone

tone MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    Afraid I don't have have the file after a bit of searching. Is there any way of you being able to host the file for download or able to send it over? as I google searches have been fruitless.

Thanks

19. najamesk1

najamesk1 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    #19 najamesk1, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  20. tone

tone MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately I must admit defeat as loading the image using iitt.exe results in an operation failed error. I think the partition/laptop/hard drive is a little messed up.

I think I'm going to remove all partitions and just install a copy of XP I have.

Thanks again for the help. It's much appreciated.