Acer V3-771G: BIOS password forgotten :(

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by madmacs, Nov 26, 2012.

1. madmacs

madmacs MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    #1 madmacs, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    Hi @ all,

I recently purchased an Aspire V3-771G and stupidly forgot my BIOS (Insyde) password that I entered (late) one evening.
    To add to my problems, I also cannot boot from a CD/DVD as this was also disabled in the BIOS, lol :eek:

I´ve downloaded the latest BIOS for my system from Acer, and have tried messing around with the .ini file to clear password/ clear CMOS without any luck.

I also don´t receive an error notification (number) after trying to enter a PW three times, just a black screen.

Is there any way to reset my password without actually opening my laptop and shorting the jumpers?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I hope I´ve posted this in the right forum

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try bios recovery procedure with usb. works on most models

3. madmacs

madmacs MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks for your reply LatinMcG. Can you point me in the right direction. New to this stuff and I don´t want to brick my bios, lol.

Cheers.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. madmacs

madmacs MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks again, I´ll try it later when I get home :)

6. madmacs

madmacs MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    No luck unfortunately. I can´t even boot from USB!!! So booting into a DOS enviroment is also impossible. Oh well, I´ll wait until there a workaround. Thx anyway

7. quid

quid MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
    Most laptop OEM's put a cmos reset switch on the motherboard under the ram slots I guess for ease of repair. Usually you just have to short it and the password will be cleared. I'd check there first (assuming this laptop isn't an ultrabook with soldered ram.). Look for something labeled reset, rst, rest...etc.

8. madmacs

madmacs MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks quid. Was just trying to get around the opening of the Laptop. Never mind, guess I´ll have to reset the CMOS today.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    bios recovery is not booting from dos. its a bootblock function to recover bios which also resets password usually