acer v3 771g cmos jumper is not resetting password

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by helmidragon, Jul 23, 2013.

1. helmidragon

helmidragon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    Hello ,
    i forgot my password for bios , i have two main problems :
    -bios is not recognizing boot device and show message " No Bootble device , Hit any key"
    -my bios is protected by password wich i can't remember, i tried cmos jumber but it's not working and still demanding password
    -other method including utilies will not work because bios is not recognizing any bootable device (hdd, flash...)

- it think this bios update is related to the issue because i used it
    BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) 2.21 3.0 MB 2013/05/13

-Boot manager is empty list !!!
    -tried removing cmos battery and then using cmos jumper but nothing (i gess it's not an erasble bios or somthing)
    -somthing to do with secure boot UEFI from my researches

Please help my i lost hope, i tried evreything i can , what should i do

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    remove cmos batt and short the + and - terminals of it while pressing power.. no power of course.

disable secure boot or EFI boot to boot MBR devices not EFI

3. helmidragon

helmidragon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    thanks for your help, but no luck with that

update :
    - it think this bios update is related to the issue because i used it

-Boot manager is empty list !!!

-cmos jumper is not working ?? what should i do because without access to bios i will never know what is the problem
    -is there any kind of master passwords or somthing that can help

update :
    -used methods on service manual for clearing cmos using jrst2001 but no luck . am i missing something ? aren't these method supposed to clear cmos ? i am really confused , my laptop is useless , can someone provide me a solution

-is the password stored on some sort of eeprom flash permenant memory or what, aren't bios supposed to be resittable ?

4. helmidragon

helmidragon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    Update 2
    -i was trying to use flas**t.exe + vag70x64 but no luck , system wont boot into flash disk , actually it does not boot into anything
    -am in double lock , no access to bios , neither to boot devices

5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  6. helmidragon

helmidragon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    it's a laptop , jrst2001 and jrst2002 manualowl.com/m/Acer%20Computers/Aspire-V3-771G/Manual/288262?page=8 on page 76.i tried short circuiting them but no luck, password is always actif , i there a way to flash bios or downgrade it

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    This has to work if you are making contact "short the RTCRST# point"

From the picture in the manual I can't see the contact at all

8. helmidragon

helmidragon MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    acerfans.ru/uploads/forum/images/1355659938.jpg it is similar to this one.
    i don't know why it's not clearing cmos and i keep getting the same promblems : bios still have password and system won't recognize booting devices.
    the problem of boot is related to updating bios

-should i install windows 8 in a flash disk maybe to try to boot from it on system ?
    -can the bios be replaced to fix this problem , or maybe the system is using eeprom memory for password
    -i discharged the motherboard , and let it all night without power, and tried same thing

Attached Files:

9. Pusser

Pusser MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2013
    You are not alone. Same thing has happened to me with identical machine with the exception I never had a password set to begin with. i have been in IT over thirty years and now retired. I have never had one of my computers with any password in the cmos and yet it keeps asking for one. Press F2 quickly to enter a password I have never had.

Certainly this problem was caused by the BIO Update and I too used the wrong bios update of the two offered.

Acer wanted £50 to reset the cmos but I can do that myself so I thought. All power has been removed, cmos battery removed, + and - battery terminals shorted (No 3 pins and jumper that I could find) and still get asked for a password and still no bootable or any drives can be found.

It is my view this has been caused by WIN8 embedding prod ID into BIOS but that is a guess, not a certainty,

So my options are to buy a new mainboard and of course not forgetting to buy a fresh copy of WIN 8 or strip for spares and throw away.

One positive note is that I shall remove win8 for all seven computers I own as I resent a software company interfering with my hardware which in my view is the same thing as the BBC deciding to place itself in the firmware of my telly.

But any genius out there that has an idea other than phoning the Samaritans, I would indeed be grateful for the touch a human kindness.

10. JonMT

JonMT MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2014
    I have same issue. Has anyone found a way to correct this? I have tried all of the options here. Thanks to helmidragon for the picture to help me find those elusive jumpers. But no luck in that option either. I am tending to agree with Pusser as WIN8 seems to be very unfriendly to those who fix computers for a living. Please help if you can as a notebook would be better then a brick. Mainboard cost is about 190.00 Windows 8 another 120.00 new system is a better option economically.

11. firecode95

firecode95 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    well actually there isn't way to clear pasword with jumper because its stored in bios flash in dmi zone. The only way to reset pasword is to get special efi file that need to be put on usb flash, but there is one big problem I found that file on torrents but torrent is dead and probably acer won't give it so, if you are lucky and can found it Disablepassword.efi then share it there so others can use it.

12. glxatmdl

glxatmdl MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    Dear All, does any of you have the Disablepassword.efi for me to try a bios password removal on Aspire V3-771G?
    I applied in vain an aluminum foil on the jumper JRST2001, on JRST2002, on both as well, while powering on with main battery and CMOS battery removed.
    (for those not willing to disassemble this laptop "to the bone" for CMOS battery replacement, I have the advise to remove some plastic just above the CMOS battery, from the (inner) bottom plate,).
    Meanwhile I hope to find a DMI tool.
    Thanks