Acer V3-771G, set graphics card to auto in bios, picture on screen showing up anymore

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by beezischillin, Oct 4, 2014.

1. beezischillin

beezischillin MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2014
    Hey guys, sorry to bother you all, I've been having this problem with my laptop, an i7 + gt650m Acer running an unlocked bios in which I set the graphics card to auto as an attempt to diagnose a hdmi related bug and now I don't get any picture on the laptop, be it HDMI, VGA or the screen. I've been running an unlocked bios on the device and I tried shorting the two small pins under the memory in an attempt to reset the bios settings however, it didn't help.

I'm now looking for solutions. I tried putting the VAG70X64.FD on a fat32 formatted 8gb usb stick and booting it with ESC and FN pressed but it didn't help. This is probably the stupidest way to brick a laptop, but I really would like to restore it into a working condition. Any ideas, please?

Oh and thanks for reading this!

2. beezischillin

beezischillin MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2014
    bump?

3. DoZe2

DoZe2 MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2010
    #3 DoZe2, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    i had the same probs 1 week ago, and apply the crisis procedure : no problem.

1. make a key like your describe above. (using a usb key with a led : you can see the led blinking during the flash procedure)
    2. remove the battery
    3. plug the key in USB2 connector
    3. Hold the "FN+esc" key, stay with your finger on "FN+esc", AND with your other hand, plug the powercord.
    4. You MUST wait after the first led blink, to release the "FN+esc"
    5. WAIT, it's not like normal flash procedure, it's a bit longer.
    6. the laptop automatically shutdown and WAIT for the shutdown.
    7. Put the battery
    8. Cross your finger

Hope this might help you !

4. beezischillin

beezischillin MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2014
    Thank you, I tried it with a flash with no led, I'll try and do it according to what you described and report back, once the service that failed to repair it gives it back to me

5. beezischillin

beezischillin MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2014
    I formatted the usb drive (a 256 mb old kingston with leds), I copied the VAG70X64.fd on it, plugged it into the USB2, but the power button doesn't blink after I plug the AC in. Don't know what I'm doing wrong :/

6. peace2000

peace2000 MDL Novice

May 20, 2016
    #6 peace2000, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Wow I have now the same problem as OP with the same laptop, but instead of choosing option "Auto" I chose "DIsabled" because I wanted to disable integrated graphics and use only dedicated. Yes, I know now this was stupid thing to do.

I tried resetting bios by opening my laptop and removing bios battery (twice!). Didn't help. Now I'm trying that "emergency flash" procedure which would go like this according V3-771G's service manual:

1. Format the USB storage disk using the Fast Format option.
    2. Save ROM file (file name: VAG70X64.fd) to the root directory of USB storage. Make sure
    that there is no other BIOS file saved in the same directory.
    3. Plug USB storage into USB port.
    4. Press <Fn+ESC> button then plug in AC power.
    5. The Power button flashes once.
    6. Press Power button to initiate system CRISIS mode.
    7. When CRISIS is complete, the system auto restarts with a workable BIOS.
    8. Update the latest version BIOS for this machine by regular BIOS flashing process.

Now the problem is that when I plug AC adapter in (step 4), my laptop powers on immediately, without pressing any button. So step 5 never happens. What can I do now? Is there another way to do this? Or a way to plug AC in so that it does not power my pc on automatically?

This laptop uses InsydeH20 3.7 bios.