Ack! My old standby 'puter quit!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RASelkirk, Feb 27, 2010.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    My desktop quit on a reboot, I get no video output or beep codes, yet the drives appear to be accessed as normal. I tried a different video card and got absolutely nothing except the green MOBO LED, no fans, nothing. The MOBO is an ASUS P4P800-SE that's performed flawlessly for 5 years. Nothing looks burst or burnt, board appears to be completely intact.

So far I've tried a different video card, different memory, and an Intel MOBO. Once these were deemed all inoperable, I changed the power supply. Now the Intel board boots (it has onboard video). Once I saw the Intel board boot, I tried my ASUS board again and see the same things I saw originally.

I really want to keep the ASUS board, otherwise I'll have to reload everything from scratch. Is there any way to rule out the board as the problem? Should I try a PCI video card first?

Russ

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Definately worth a go, strange that you have no fans either. It doesnt sound too good for the Asus board.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Sorry if I misspoke. My fan does run, the MOBO LED is on and all drives appear to be accessed, but nothing on the display. The lack of "fan" occurred only after trying a different video card (I think the power supply crapped out at that time), but it works again with the new power supply...

Well, I tried my AGP card in the Intel board and it does work. So it's not the video card. For the ASUS board, the problem is either the AGP slot or the MOBO is toast. I'd still like to try a PCI video card, looking for someone local with a used card I can try...

Russ

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    In that case in sounds like the video card is the issue here, this is good i think...... video card is gonna be less bucks than a new mobo. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I managed to find a pair of identical MOBO's, one in CA and the other in Hong Kong. Also got a 128M PCI video card off e-Bay for $28 shipped, so in a few weeks I should be back in business!

Russ

6. groovesection

groovesection MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    It could be RAM problem, if you have 2 sticks remove both and try 1 at a time

7. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    cmos battery is 5 yrs old. it may time to replace the battery.

8. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Yep, I'll go there in a minute...

The batteries in these boards are actually close to 7 yrs old and that was another part of the problem...

I've built a half dozen 'puters before and this revamp (nothing but a MOBO swap) completely ate my lunch!

I ended up getting a used P4P800-SE (same as mine) from China that was DOA. It appeared to have been dropped or otherwise damaged in shipment. We were able to meet halfway (he refunded half my $$$) and that saved me from having to send it back to China.

I also got two P4P800-E Deluxe boards, one of them NIB and the other with a 3.4g processor. I tried the used one first and it booted to BIOS just fine, but that's were the "fine" stopped. Whenever XP tried booting, I'd get all kinds of blue-screens and fatal stops. Got thinking maybe the BIOS revision was old enough that it wouldn't support the 3.4g proc, so I swapped in my (known to be good) 2.8g proc and got the same results. Now thinking the board was SNAFU'ed, I installed the "new" board with my proc and got a bit further. Far enough that I was able to flash the BIOS to the newest version. <SNAP> Put in a new CMOS battery! After a few more blue-screens, I figured it's time to format and reinstall XP. Well, the format went OK, but the install kept skipping files. Now this is with my "copy", my original XP disc, and a new burn of my XP ISO. All three were puking when read from... I finally went back to my 2 old (512M) sticks of RAM. BINGO! The two new (1G) sticks of Samsung memory are apparently bad! I was able to get XP reloaded, then made a MTEST floppy and booted from it to test my 2 old sticks. They failed every test, but hey, it's working! To bed at 00:15 am...

Today I moved the box back into my room and got all the peripherals hooked up and working. Decided to run the MTEST again and all works fine now? Why would it fail everything in one room, but work fine in another? I'll run the 'puter for the week and try my Samsung sticks again this weekend. Some things I did note, that 3.4g ran MUCH hotter (in BIOS) than the 2.8g and the voltages were all slightly lower. I'll prolly stay with the 2.8g. And to top it off, the P4P800-E Deluxe is a much nicer board than my old (dead) P4P800-SE.

Russ

9. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    glad to see you goter working again. grounding is the only thing that comes to mind...maybe in the one room the mb wasnt properly grounded to the chassis and somehow when moving to a different room along the way it tweaked and became grounded when you set it up in the other room? idk just a stab in the dark...

10. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Turns out I had one (of two) new memory sticks defective. I'm now running my two "old" mismatched 512K sticks and one "new" Samsung 1M for 2M total. Of course, it's no longer DDR but seems to run in single mode just fine...

Russ