Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office (formerly Acronis True Image) activation

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nova-s, Aug 23, 2014.

1. skyteddy

skyteddy MDL Senior Member

Dec 22, 2009
    ???

ROTFL. 2GB is big for a portable USB flash drive? Normally I use a 64 or 128GB flash drive and put a lot of different ISOs on it.

But why 2GB for my Acronis? AcronisTrueImage2019.iso has 640 MB (671.088.640 Bytes). I put AcronisDiskDirector12.5Server_163_xx-xx.iso ~210 MB and AcronisTrueImage2016.iso 537 MB (563.281.920 Bytes) on the USB flash drive too.

I'm out here, because it's all offtopic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. venomhed

venomhed MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2010

BIT LOCKER, by default, requires the use of an onboard TPM chip for the encryption. This can be bypassed but isn't supported, via a registry change to allow whole disk encryption, like Veracrypt, instead. I could see where a full sector by sector backup would work if restored to the exact same machine and possibly with the Veracrypt rescue disk afterwards. I used TrueCrypt prior but always did my backups within the OS, never outside or off bootable media, but I could see where it "should" work as I do not believe Veracrypt relies on any sort of hardware the verify. Just saying I could see this working but BitLocker with TPM, no way in hell.

3. richwood

richwood MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
    working for Acronis Backup or just the True Image line of products?

4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    OP needs updating with proper links to the ISO versions. Windows 1809 require special support to work. Does ATI 2019 latest version support the even-newer Windows build 1903?

5. jcc2

jcc2 MDL Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Hi.... Could you please be kind enough to elaborate regarding the special support required to run in windows 1809?

Thanks in advance!

JCC2

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    The 2017/2018 versions don't support 1809, but 2019 version does.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    From what I can make out on the net the 2017 version was updated to fix the proble with 1809.

8. MatG

MatG MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2015
    #728 MatG, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    I can confirm, im using version 2016 build 6571 on Windows 10 1809 and been working pretty sweet..and still going ;)

9. opoedre

opoedre MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2013
    I even use version 2014 on a desktop with windows 10 1809. It works well

10. ilk2011

ilk2011 MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2018
    Confirmed many times. So, "don't support" is not a truthful information.

11. TimLucas

TimLucas MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2019
    Works with Acronis TrueImage 2019 Home Build 17750

12. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Beta 2020 program has started.
    As always, the first thing I do is extract the PE stuff and check if that still works. Everything seems OK.
    I really don't care what they "improved" (or as the Germans say "verschlimmbessert") in the full installed version, as long as the PE stuff still works (classic UI, just 58mb wotrth of program files for x86, or 68mb for x64), it's fine with me.

Another year, another build (So that's version 2020 beta, build 19270).

13. mikeneuer

mikeneuer MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    Danke für die Info. Wie erstellst Du ein PE-ISO? How do you create a PE-ISO?

14. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hmm, that would be slightly off-topic here.
    In a nutshell: The Acronis PE files can be extracted from the .msi file, then they can be started from pretty much any PE, as long as you use some sort of "launcher" (a simple Autohotkey exe, in my case) that starts the services and does some registry settings. So, almost "portable", in that case. Of course, there is also the standard Acronis PE builder (but it requires a full ADK!), or other PE-build scripts (for Win10XPE, Win10PESE, etc.)

15. nova-s

nova-s MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2010
    @Atari800XL
    would you mind sharing your Autohotkey script with us?

16. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I'm afraid the script is not really in a "shareable" form/ quality, but if anybody wants to code a "portable Acronis" launcher, I'd be willing to help (I think they should start a new topic for that, though). Unfortunately, in the 10 or-so cases where I tried to help people before, everybody gave up pretty quickly, and didn't find it worth the trouble (ie: stopped reacting to my messages/ HowTos).
    I like my portable Acronis a lot though, it's not that hard to do, but for the majority the bootable ISOs would be the easiest way to go.

17. nova-s

nova-s MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2010
    i see, thanks.
    but i really would like to have a look on your script (maybe send it with PM)
    i want to get an idea what exactly has to be done to make it run after extracting the PE stuff from the installer...

18. skyteddy

skyteddy MDL Senior Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Where do you get the PE base from? Or which PE did you use? Which files from Acronis exactly did you use? Andy why you need a Autohotkey script?

Autohotkey is not so hard to code, but I don't understand what you do and why. And what is the advantage against the PE created by Acronis PE-builder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @Atari800XL is it possible to add classic UI to acronis linux boot disk or is it only PE I hate the newer UI

20. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #740 Atari800XL, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Base PE could be any version. Where do I get them from? (1) ADK PEs, these are the "cleanest", I download these using direct links (no full ADK install needed). (2) From any ESD download, using Wimlib etc. to extract boot.wim, then some batches to extract a few extra files from a full "install.wim" index (for example "sc,exe" is needed to start the Acronis services, this file has to be taken from an install.wim index, then inserted in boot.wim using Wimlib. (3) Or take a boot.wim from a Windows iso.

Which files from Acronis do I use? I could answer later in more detail, but the main idea is to use 7zip in a batch to extract an .msi file from the full Acronis installer, extract pe.zip from the msi, then extract x86 and x64 program files from that (these include VC runtime files, some services files, etc.) As I mentioned before, just around 50-70mb in total needed from the large installer.

Why do I need a "launcher" script? (I like Autohotkey, but it could be other languages)
    You don't really NEED a launcher, but in that case you need some type of "Winbuilder" script when building your custom PE (PE fans should know about these already, but there do not seem to be a lot of PE fans here on MDL). So using a launcher is just a case of "If it can be done, I want to try it".
    My launcher does this: (1) Display a splash screen (2) Read in serial from text file, recode it to Acronis reg format, add to registry (3) On first launch in PE, copy files needed to start to services to system32\ (snapapi.dll) and system32\drivers (snapman.sys, fltsrv.sys) (4) Start the services (this is why "sc.exe" is needed in your PE (5) Launch Acronis.

What is the advantage over the standard Acronis PE builder?
    I like to be independent of the Acronis PE builder (or other PE builders) I like to create my own (containing all my own tools, settings, etc.) which is also better for corporate environment etc (again, if you're a PE fan, you know most custom PE builder require you to shut off anti-virus, etc.) I could go on, but let's not pollute the topic too much.
    Just have to add one thing: Using the portable solution, new Acronis versions can be easily added wiyhout the need for a new PE build.

PE only for me, sorry. Yes, I hate the bloated UI as well, specially when you know the basic PE stuff really hasn't changed much at all over the last decade, so for me it's just a matter of some batch/ script wizardry, and all the mess disappears.