acronis

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zaiko, Jan 20, 2010.

1. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Is there anybody using acronis true image home 2010 v13 on a win 7 32bit with 7 loader ?

I prefer to BU only one partition with the OS on and not the other 2 partitions with data!
    It goes much faster than the win 7 BU .

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    What is BU?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    BU = BackUp:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    I use that version of acronis as a wim file added to my bcd on my install disk with the extra acronis tools package. I have a hacked setup file so that a 100 meg partition isnt made with my win 7 install, and a modded slic bios, but that stays activated if its any consolation (as it in theory should). With 7 loader i ASSUME that if you dont have the 100 meg partition and the bcd is on the BU drive, then it should stay activated, and if you have it installed on the 100 meg partition and restore a BU on the same pc, it SHOULD stay activated.

6. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    That bcd you are talking about can I see it on my drive ?I see a bootmgr and bootsect.bak and grldr and win7ldr ?

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    A normal boot works like this:

BIOS -> MBR -> Bootloader -> Windows OS

Booting with SLIC-Emulation works like this:

BIOS -> MBR -> Emulator -> Bootloader -> Windows OS

A default MBR is set up to go straight to the bootloader, so in order to have it go to the emulator instead the MBR has to be altered accordingly. This is one of the things the various loader apps do.

Therefore preservation of activation depends on two things:

1) Data in the MBR

2) Presence of emulator-file | (grldr or whatever)

Hence the backup must:

1) Not overwrite the MBR with a default one

2) Include the emulator file in its original place

If these two things are provided for then the activation should stay intact as well...