acronis

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by zaiko, Aug 2, 2010.

1. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes as tcntad said, just leave option as default i have used acronis since it was first available and have never changed those options.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have been a bit scared of Acronis because of its insertion of boot record. Anyway I want to try Acronis again after recent windows 7 inbuilt backup snafus (system restore disk not recognising some backups). As a first step, I would like to convert my windows 7 built in backups into Acronis backups.

Acronis guide notes that Windows 7 users can convert vhd files created by Windows Backup into tib (Acronis TIH) archives.
    It also notes that if you used Windows Backup utility for backing up the system hard drive and later purchased Acronis you can recover your system hard drive from those Windows Backup utility backups (vhd files) using Acronis TIH.

Are both these statements true (windows 7 image backup creates a vhd file/folder). This is important as i do not want to lose my windows image files (created as ADMIN-PC subfolder in folder `WindowsImageBackups'. These backups are various stages of my various windows 7 installs.

Because of the windows 7 restore not recognising some backups, I would like to convert my existing windows 7 inbuilt backups into acronis tib files, store them in a separate location, and then use Acronis TIH to see if it restores from those converted images.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    leave everything default as they are, except Compress Level and BackUp Priority ==> High

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Please I would be very grateful if members here can provide some insights into acronis and norton.
    1. Do not want to install both but use boot cd for both to just back up and restore.
    2. Common questions: for recovery, do I need to back up c: OS or also system reserved. I am uncertain about this.
    3. With both acronis and norton boot cd, I backed up c: and sys. res. first.
    4. with both, one can restore only 1 image at a time-either the c: larger file or sys. reserved.
    5. ghost and acronis can also restore from windows 7 built in image files but again they recognise 2 files-one a bigger file of around 15 gb (which is my c: os) and one a smaller file which is sys. reserved.

Would be grateful if these can be answered:
    1. for backup with acronis and ghost: should I just back up c: or also sys. reserved.
    2. both will create their own formats-tib and ghost's extension
    3. will restore be successful if I have backed up only c: and not sys. reserved using either acronis or ghost.
    4. will restore be successful if I use acronis and/or ghost to restore a windows 7 inbuilt image (the bigger file C:)

Please help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    backup C:\ and the reserved partition, this is a minimum but if you want other partitions mark them to ofcourse..

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply. My problem and why I was looking for alternates to win 7 inbuilt backup was that sometimes the sys. repair disk was not recognising some images.
    As it is, I back up only c: and sys. reserved. Other data is backed up using syncbackpro.

So I should back up c: and sys. reserved in acronis and norton and then restore the same thru boot cd. Acronis gives 3 folders to restore!

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply. My problem and why I was looking for alternates to win 7 inbuilt backup was that sometimes the sys. repair disk was not recognising some images.
    As it is, I back up only c: and sys. reserved. Other data is backed up using syncbackpro.

So I should back up c: and sys. reserved in acronis and norton and then restore the same thru boot cd. Acronis gives 3 folders to restore!

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I did just as `tcntad' advised. I booted through acronis cd and made a backup of c: and sys. reserved. It made a tib file of 11.8 gb which is somewhat lower than windows image. This c: and sys res. is a total of 132 GB and resides on a 1 TB HDD of which the balance 799 GB is a single partition.
    Next I restored the same image with acronis with option of restore whole disk and selecting all 3 entries.
    The backup took 5 mins and restore took 10 mins and my last post was before doing this.
    Now, another question, without installing acronis, I cannot convert my windows images to tib. I will have to restore the win 7 images to my PC and then use acronis cd to make a tib of that.
    Acronis also has an option of restoring from win7 (vhd) images. However, what to choose there. win 7 vhds are in 2 files: c and sys. res.

10. captain kid

captain kid MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    Silly question:
    Why not use the Windows 7 backup tool to make a system image?
    I did and it seems to work perfectly with the repair CD.

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Used win 7 built in backup. However, one major problem has caused me to look for alternatives:
    1. system repair disc and control panel/recovery often do not recognise some or all system images. They recognise them at t hrs, then do not detect them at t+1, and then may detect them at t+2. If that is the case, what is the point in keeping a backup.
    2. image files are larger than acronis (full system is 18GB versus 11 GB for acronis; basic OS is 8-9 GB versus 4 GB for acronis).
    3. try to make a win 7 backup if your sys reserved free size is less than 40 MB. Had huge problems there and finally increased the sys. reserved size to 350 MB.
    4. tried acronis boot cd (no install) and it made a backup much faster and at lower sizes.

12. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    An update: I have converted all my windows 7 built in backup images to acronis backup images (tib) through a laborious process. Anyway that is done.
    One query: acronis boot cd (which is I what I use as I do not want to install acronis) has an option to back up from windows 7 images.

If one does that, one sees 2 vhd files: a smaller one (sys. res) of around 200 MB (in my case) and a bigger one (c:) of around 15 GB. Acronis lets me select only one at the time. Can I restore say sys. res. first, stay in Acronis, and restore the second, then reboot.

If I can do this, then another major problem of mine is solved: win 7 backup may not recognise images even if they reside on the hard disk, and recognised by acronis.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #14 urie, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    @ acyuta, you should obviously have a current acronis image of your system. I would just try and restore your converted images and see what happens.
    If it doesn't work you can restore with current image. as for the sys partition I don't create them when installing windows 7 not needed if you are using acronis.
    Another point I would be more interested in why windows did not accept the images it made do you think they are corrupt i wouldn't have thought acronis would have managed to convert them if they were.

14. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    urie How do partions Recovery disk that it will be to restore the system data. Is this even possible, or it may only company that sells computers?.

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #16 acyuta, Aug 5, 2010
    Let me tell you the problem for better understanding:
    1. initially used win 7 backup and restore.
    2. used acronis once but after trying it for some time, restored my windows image which had no acronis. Result: boot loader problem for which you had suggested a boot cd solution.
    3. anyway, went back to win 7 but have found that it is unpredictable and misses some images at some times and recognises them at other times. Not much use then is it.
    4. after doing some research, went back to acronis early in the week, this time with the boot cd. First restored the earlier win 7 image through win 7 sys. reapir disk, then backed it up with acronis. Acronis makes a basic OS image of only 4 GB compared with 8-9 GB for MS.
    5. as to multiple images, I prefer to keep 3-4 images of present PC at different stages of install (OS activated, initial software is stage 1, other trial sftware is stage 2, and drivers/nvidia is stage 3). Also keep 1-2 basic activated OS copies. Just as an insurance against many things, including win 7 not recognising some images.
    6. as to sys. partition, I know it is not needed, but had been relying on win 7 backup and felt maybe it required that (it only complicated matters with backup failing often with some errors). Solved that problem by increasing sys. reserved size to 350 MB.
    7. even if acronis does not need that partition, let it be (only 350 MB).
    8. what I seek a solution is that (a) will acronis work at restoring invididual vhd files made by win 7 backup. Restore sys. reserved first and then c: or alternatively, is there any need to restore sys reserved at all, and just restore c:. In that case, would not there be a current sys. reserved partition info with older (imaged) c:. I am a noob and conservative, and just wanted to ask that considering acronis boot cd can restore from win 7 backups, can I backup c: and sys. reserved in sequence (since acronis does not allow simultaneous restoration of win 7 backups, only its own tib backups). If yes, what would be the correct sequence.
    9. After some time, with some confidence in acronis, I will delete the sys. reserved on a reinstall, and keep only c: Too much of a hassle with sys. reserved.

At present, I do have 5-6 MS built images but 8-10 acronis images. If acronis can restore from MS images (both c and sys res), I can be sure that at least those images are useful (3-4 are OS activated +main software images which can be used to quickly rebuild the system again in an hour). The fact is that I have lost confidence in win 7 recognising many images (Acronis does and so why not use acronis to restore from those).

Missed out on one observation: if windows 7 did not recognise (and thus not restored) all the time, then they should have been corrupt. But I have seen 2 images out of 3 being recognised in 1 process, and on reboot all 3 images being recognised, and then sometime later, another number being recognised. These are on a computer-attached HDD. Similar is the case with 2-3 images on an external HDD.

As to not requiring the sys. reserved partition, I have long followed this tool (method 3) but never implemented it so far (will do once I fully migrate to acronis and delete all the existing images and rebuild system and backups again).

http://www.mydigitallife.net/2009/0...reserved-partition-when-installing-windows-7/

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  17. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #18 acyuta, Aug 5, 2010
    Of course the best solution is to not let that sys. resr. be created at all. That is for a fresh install and another day and will use the mdl method or gparted to present win 7 install with existing partitions.

As to acronis restoring from win 7 image backups, will try out sequentially: first sys. resr. and then c: As you noted, no harm in trying. If things do not work, just boot again with either acronis or win 7 sys. repair disk and restore again; or format and quit or go ahead to install a dummy OS, and then restore.

Heard of 7lite (but not seven UA) and even have it, but have not tried it yet. I prefer a clean OS as I am not an expert in uninstalling a preloaded, unwanted software (and cleaning out all its traces), and prefer loading apps on top rather than having them beforehand. Takes me just 2-3 hrs to do a boot from install DVD to a fully functional system. Does require attention though.

Looking at the screen you posted, it says some selected software, but fortunately, it also has D:/apps and can you choose what software will be loaded alongwith the OS. Would love to have some essential software (browsers, vlc, subtitleworkshop, imgburn, dvdshrink, java 1.6, fonts, MSE, Net 4.0, Visual C++ 2005-10) preloaded.

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ acyuta, D:/apps is the DVD but if you have more than one APPS folder say on another partition it will be shown also and it can install Applications from there also.

19. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    My preferred method is to boot from a live CD (either Bart-PE or UBCD4Win). I then run Acronis True Image (Bart-PE plugin) to backup or restore partitions. The only files I ignore are pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys (both are very large files that are not necessary to backup).

I know that Acronis has the ability to make backups from within Windows, but I am not 100% comfortable with hot images. The recovery disk created by Acronis True Image is Linux based and tends to corrupt other Windows partitions when I perform a restore with it.