Activate a windows xp MCE

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by jaydilla34, Nov 27, 2010.

1. jaydilla34

jaydilla34 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010
    I took the harddrive out of my compaq MCE and put it in a gateway. I got a message on the login screen that i needed to activate windows before logging in. I found a workaround to that and was able to login. Now the issue im having is activating windows. I wouldnt say I'm as advanced as most guys here, so in lamons terms can someone walk me through how to activate this xp, either by crack or some work around? the MCE OS i guess is only suppose to work on the compaqs, anyway any helkp would be great... I read some of the stickies but the terms are too advacend for me to understand exactly what he is saying.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    MCE will work on almost any computer.Certainly Gateway.
    You need to uninstall the "workaround" you used and be sure it is completely gone and didnt make the next step impossible..

1-Download the OEMBIOS installer from the stickies

2-Download the Gateway OEMBIOS files you see, or run the OEMBIOS.exe from safe mode..(You can do this before you take out the "workaround")

3-Have the oembios changer put to the desktop with the oembios set also.

4-Run the insaller with the OEMBIOS files in the correct folder..it also has the necessary files for MCE

I would uninstall the "workaround first and then do the procedure from safe mode..you can use safe mode on the computers with an activation issue...

Too many jump to the "workaround" before researching a fix...o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jaydilla34

jaydilla34 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010

Thanks for the help. I was able to get it done. But, the work around i did for the login was no program all i did was login admin in safemode opened cmd typed in "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" restarted and bam was able to login windows without activating.