activate oem on other pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Stannieman, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Hello,
    On vmware on my desktop I've installed xp home and pro with oem disks and I can activate them with the home oem key of my laptop and the pro oem key of my girlfriends laptop.
    No phone call, no crack, I think it are untouched oem disks (sp3 integrated). How is that possible?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zerocool213

zerocool213 MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2009
    hey

they just mite of left the Setupp.ini file blank and saved it in the iso image plus windows does not matter sometimes its the the key that matters to microsoft

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    setupp.ini from home oem cd

[Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76395OEM

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    by oem key on the laptop, do you mean the key on the coa sticker? if yes, the key is actually legit and most of time will pass an online activation

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    yes, the keys are on the sticker at the back of the laptops. But it are oem keys, so it shouldn't be possible to activate a vm on a completely different pc with. So why do they work? Or is it because xp is already 9 years old and MS allows you to use oem keys as retail?

6. spiderman_pink

Jul 1, 2009
    if you notice on the sticker, the should be something like COA on it

A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license – it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine.

the key installed on the laptop is a different one, usually oem slp key used by manufacturers. those companies can't possibly have the time and resources to activate the systems one by one now, would they? time is money.

so basically, the COA is just to show that the system has genuine windows. the key on the COA however, is unused. technically, you should be able to use and activate the key, but legally, that's another different matter

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Oh, so the key actualy works just lika a retail key, even when it's already used on the laptop? So it's normal that it works, but it "isn't allowed"

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    yes I know that the factory key isn't the same as the sicker key, that's all the win7/vista slic stuff is about.
    But I've already used the sticker key on the laptop. So the laptop is activated with the same key as the vm at the same time. But shouldn't the sticker key be be binded to the laptops hardware than?

9. spiderman_pink

Jul 1, 2009
    #10 spiderman_pink, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    for XP, its pretty much the same as win 7 and vista. only that the system is much simpler; the motherboard just needs valid dmi information, 4 oembios files on the cd and the slp key.

lets get this straight. if i understand correctly,

1)you have 2 coa keys; XP Home from your laptop, and XP Pro on your gfs laptop.
    2)the keys installed in your laptop, and your gfs laptop are different from the sticker, have you checked?

so technically that means you have 2 unused keys, which explains why you can activate in VM.

the sticker is just to show that the system has genuine software installed. it is time and labour consuming to have activate each system manually

10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    no, the keys from the stickers are insalled on the laptops (I know that for shure cause I used them to reinstall windows on the laptops), so they were already used before I tried.
    And now I could activate the VM with the already used keys, thats the weird thing, cause it shouldn't be possible.

11. spiderman_pink

Jul 1, 2009
  12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    ok thanks, so the only key that's really pc binded is the slp factory key?